Harlem Gems is the final step in our early childhood pipeline. A top-notch, year-round, full-day pre-kindergarten program, Gems works with 240 children across four sites to ensure that each and every one enters kindergarten school-ready. With five staff in each classroom, classes have a 4:1 child-to-adult ratio, allowing for more one-on-one work and ensuring that students receive the individualized attention they need. Gems staff also encourage strong family involvement, engaging parents and caregivers in classroom activities and creating consistency between home and school.
Early literacy skills are a primary focus of the Gems curriculum. Students are immersed in languageand not just English. They also learn basic vocabulary in French and Spanish, and get to know and explore the world around them through exposure to a range of disciplinesfrom math, science, and technology to social studies and the arts. They participate in fun fitness activities, playing sports such as golf and tennis, and even learn the basics of health and nutrition, including how to differentiate go, slow, and whoa foods to foster healthy eating habits. From recreation to reading, our goal is to turn our Gems into lifelong learners. And we reinforce the ultimate goalcollege graduationearly and often. Each Gems classroom is named after a prestigious college or university, at once setting a high bar for the future and fostering a culture of academic excellence.
HarlemGems is seeking an Education Director to provide leadership and direction for curriculum and instruction, and other educational programs and initiatives to one of our program sites. Responsibilities include program management, administration, development, and evaluation. This position reports to the Program Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct and develop curriculum and teaching processes
- Manage all programs to ensure effective delivery of curriculum and achievement of program outcomes
- Manage and provide guidance to teachers and teaching support staff
- Conduct formal and informal observations, and provide constructive feedback
- Develop workshops and educational opportunities that encourage academic enrichment
- Establish and maintain collaborations with community organizations, schools, and parents
- Perform other duties as assigned
Qualification, Skills and Knowledge Requirements
- Master's degree in Education with supervisory experience in a pre-school setting
- Must have at least 3 5 years teaching experience
- Valid New York State teaching certification for Birth-Grade 2 and/or Grades 1 6
- Knowledge of and experience with early childhood curriculum development
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Familiarity with early childhood education funding sources and performance standards (i.e., UPK and Head Start)
- Teaching experience in an urban school setting is highly desired
We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package. To be considered, interested applicants must submit a cover letter and resume. No telephone inquiries or recruiters please.Replies will only be sent to qualified applicants. HCZ is an EOE.
Under the leadership of our CEO Anne Williams-Isom, we offer programs to address the needs of children at each stage of their development, as we work to strengthen the families and community around them.
The pipeline starts with The Baby College, which teaches best-practice parenting to parents of children from 0-3 years old. HCZ runs Birth to Pre-Kindergarten programs to get children on track early. Children then attend one of two HCZ Promise Academy K-12 charter schools or are supported by HCZ staff in the seven public schools in the Zone. HCZ also runs innovative middle and high-school afterschool programs for local public school students. HCZ's College Success Office supports HCZ's students - many of whom are the first in their families to attend college - so that they can successfully navigate the new challenges and responsibilities they face.
We seek talented and passionate professionals who are committed to improving the lives of our children and families. If you share our passion for and commitment to children and believe you have skills to support their development, we want you to join us on this groundbreaking journey.