Education: Bachelor or Master of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university is required.
Registration: Professional Engineering registration is highly preferred or may be required.
Experience: This position requires 3 to 7 years of relevant industrial experience in mechanical engineering.
Generally responsible for performing all aspects for complete designs of small and large mechanical engineering assignments using theoretical knowledge and practical design methods. This work will be performed under general supervision.
Primary responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Familiarity with and utilizing department design and drafting standards.
- Familiarity with project scope, specifications and design criteria upon assignment to a project task team.
- On-site assistance during startup.
- Accomplishing engineering activities such as stress analysis, construction specifications, material procurement specifications, calculations and piping estimates.
- Developing conceptual layouts and cost studies as necessary to determine the simplest, most efficient approach to solving engineering tasks at hand.
- Producing estimate level preliminary designs and material take-offs suitable for the level of the estimate being performed on a project.
- Producing detail design calculations and sketches for materials of construction associated with the project. Calculations produced will be neatly prepared and organized for efficient checking by others and efficient use by drafters/designers for preparing drawings and as a deliverable when required.
- Assisting the drafting group in resolving routine layout and detailing problems. It is your responsibility to furnish sufficient sketches and details necessary for completion of engineering drawings.
- Consulting with design leaders from other disciplines to ensure the smooth flow of vital information necessary for the scheduled completion of the project.
- Reviewing and checking vendor drawings and other discipline drawings for mechanical input.
- Producing designs with efficient use of construction materials with an overall emphasis on ease of construction and completed product meeting the expectations of the client.
- Checking calculations made by other engineers to ensure accuracy, conformance to codes, specifications, design criteria and conformance to good engineering practice.
- Advising the senior engineering concerning design or scope changes, which have been identified.
- Assisting other engineers in developing and assembling scopes, drawings and specifications into a “package”, enabling mechanical purchase inquiries to be issued for procurement of equipment, materials or subcontract pricing.
- Developing construction specifications.
- Reviewing fabrication drawings and other construction submittals for conformance to engineering drawings and specifications.
- Performing fieldwork necessary to gather field data, check tie-ins and provide construction support.
- Provide technical guidance to less experienced drafting and engineering personnel in the department.
- Applying advanced engineering techniques and analysis to complex designs.
- Developing small work sharing packages for interoffice execution support.
- Knowledge of design standards and codes.
- Knowledge, application and specification of piping materials.
- Development of piping material and material procurement specifications.
- Knowledge of good design practices for sizing all piping systems.
- Sizing of compressible fluid piping systems.
- Flexibility and stress analysis of moderately complex piping systems.
- Specify criteria for and select piping specialty items.
- Design of moderately complex process and utility piping systems.
- Knowledge of manual valve sizing, use and application.
- Knowledge of application of piping supports and restraints.
- Identification of need, application and specification of safety valves and devices to maintain the mechanical integrity of piping systems.
- Identification of need, application and specification of steam traps and liquid drainers.
- Estimating piping related construction quantities from conceptual documents.
- Knowledge of other disciplines deliverable development to ensure coordination of design efforts.
- Knowledge and application of company engineering design and CAD drafting standards.
- Knowledge of the discipline specific methods, practices and techniques required to engineer, design and construct process and manufacturing projects.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
Excellent presentation skills.
- Virtual team skills and cross divisional relationships are developed and able to provide interoffice execution support with general supervision.