Position Reports to: CEO
General Function: It is the responsibility of each employee of the Company to understand and promote the Company Mission Statement and Statement of Values while adhering to the Company Code of Conduct. The primary responsibility of this position is the management of the individual branch location in accordance with the Company’s goals and objectives.
Experience: A minimum of three years of management experience in the contractor-oriented building material field is preferred.
Education: A four year degree in management, business, finance or other related field is preferred.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: The management skills required include the ability to work well with people; to handle disciplinary matters effectively and objectively; to assign and follow up on work assignments; to administer job specific training guidelines established by the Company; to establish, manage, and achieve the location budget; to control inventory; to manage shipping and receiving at the location; and to communicate effectively with all employees within the Company.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Personnel management – The General Manager must ensure that all actions taken are in accordance with the policies outlined in the O&P Manual. The HR Manager will assist the General Manager when requested.
- Interviewing and hiring of all direct report employees.
- Determining pay increases, enforcing discipline, and terminating all direct report employees.
- Providing orientation training, job specific training, and any Company specific training as well as refresher training as required for all location employees.
- Communicating the location’s and the Company’s goals and objectives. This will be accomplished through monthly employee meetings.
- Writing annual performance evaluations for direct report employees.
- Safety – The General Manager is responsible for the safety of the employees, material, vehicles, buildings, and other Company assets assigned to the location. The General Manager must ensure that all actions taken are in accordance with the policies outlined in the O&P Manual. The HR Manager has responsibility as the Company Safety Manager to work with the General Manager to ensure that the Company’s safety policy is being followed at each location.
- Maintaining accurate DOT records for drivers and vehicles.
- Conducting monthly safety meetings; administering the Company’s safety program in an efficient and supportive manner.
- Protecting and maintaining all customers; this will include periodic personal visits to customers (the company lumber yards).
- Addressing recurring or major problems with the Lumber Yard General Managers.
- Ensuring the scheduling and delivery of customer orders on time, correctly, and efficiently.
- Developing and maintaining production systems that assure all products conform to customer requirements.
- Monitoring daily quality levels; initiating corrective actions as soon as possible.
- Working with customers to resolve quality issues.
- Protecting and maintaining Company assets including trucks, forklifts, property, buildings, and fence lines.
- Coordinating for inventory levels and purchases with the Materials Manager according to the Company purchasing policies as outlined in the O&P Manual.
- Budgeting and Accounting – All accounting and financial reporting will be done by the CFO. The General Manager will work with the CFO to ensure accurate reporting for the location.
- Developing all elements of the location budget in accordance with Company goals and objectives.
- Projecting annual capital expenditures.
- Insuring that expenses meet or are under budget and in line with current sales.
- Conducting periodic inventory cycle counts in accordance with Company policy.
- General – As Harbin Lumber Company, Inc. is a group of locations each working individually and as a team, the General Manager must be a team player and must develop positive working relationships with all managers.
Physical Requirements: Heavy lifting, up to 100 pounds, may be required at times. The General Manager must have the ability to sit or stand for up to four hours at a time.
Working Conditions: The office is located in a good environment. However, much of the General Manager’s time is spent on the sales counter and in the warehouses and yard. The General Manager must allocate time to visit with customers and outside salesmen on job sites. This environment can include cold, wet and hot conditions.
General Information: This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; there will be other duties assigned as other employee workloads, sales volumes or circumstances require. This job description is subject to change at any time.