Happiness House is a private nonprofit health, educational, residential and human service organization that has been serving communities in the Finger Lakes Region since 1969. Today with sites in Canandaigua, Geneva, Gorham, Waterloo, Rochester and Phelps/Clifton Springs, Happiness House offers an array of educational, therapeutic, recreational, residential and family support programs and services for children and adults with and without disabilities. On average, Happiness House serves more than 1,150 families each year.
Our staff consists of dedicated and knowledgeable professionals and clinicians with expertise in the areas of Special Education, Early Childhood Education, Physical, Occupational, Speech and Music Therapies, Psychology, Service Coordination, Nursing and Developmental Disabilities.
Committed to serving individuals with autism, traumatic brain injury, neurological impairments, as well as a wide variety of developmental disabilities such as cerebral palsy and Down syndrome, our staff partners with individuals and their families to support them in meeting their goals.Job Description
Special Education Teacher Position at our Geneva site. This would be a Full Time, School Year position (37.5 hours per week - Monday through Friday, 8:00am-4:00pm), including the 6 week Summer Program.
This position includes Paid School Breaks, 10 Paid Holidays, Sick and Personal Time, Matching 403b, Health, Dental, Vision, and more!
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
1. Administers standardized assessment tools to obtain data necessary for the development of the identified special needs student’s Individual Education Program (IEP) following all NYS learning standards set forth for the Preschool student.
2. Develops Individual Education Program (IEP) goals for each child identified. Documents progress through quarterly goal updates and amends goals as needed.
3. Demonstrates knowledge of technology and literacy devices which enhance the instructional opportunities for individual children.
4. Organizes a structured instructional program providing for the individual developmental needs of special needs children in collaboration Teacher’s Assistant.
5. Maintains all required paperwork, including daily/monthly attendance records.
6. Adapts and modifies the early childhood curriculum/lesson plans to meet the needs of the children with special needs.
7. Demonstrates the ability to incorporate individual student, family, socioeconomic backgrounds to enhance learning and communication.
8. Participates in all parent-teacher conferences for special needs children.
9. Attends all staff and discipline meetings.
10. Coordinates classroom team and planning meetings to facilitate appropriate programming for each child.
11. Participates in school district Committee on Preschool Special Education and Committee on Special Education meetings.
12. Supervises students, interns and volunteers placed in the classroom setting.
13. Develops 1:1 Aide plans defining roles and responsibilities of 1:1 Aides assigned to any student in the classroom.
14. Utilizes techniques/methods specific for children who require additional learning support or learning style (discrete trials, visual strategies etc).
15. Defines programs/lessons in conjunction with the paraprofessional and Coordinator.Qualifications
1. Bachelor’s degree in Education with NYS Certification for Students with Disabilities (Birth – Grade 2).
2. Experience with young children with developmental delays.
3. Knowledge of child development, developmental disabilities and student learning.
4. Knowledge of content and instructional planning and implementation.
5. Proficient computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
6. Ability to modify classroom activities to accommodate the individual needs of the children.
7. Must have demonstrated commitment to performing job duties and tasks at a high level of performance.
To complete an application for employment please go to the following link: http://happinesshousecprochester.appone.com/