Location - Norfolk, VA (East Ocean View)
General Description of the Position: Under the general supervision of the Director of Nursing, and the immediate supervision of the Charge Nurse, administers nursing care to center patients as directed by the HRCHC charge nurse. Assists supervisory clinical staff to ensure that instructions are carried out accurately and in a timely manner and assists in the orientation of new clinical employees through utilization of coaching skills. Performs a variety of direct and indirect patient care duties.
Prerequisites of Position: Satisfactory completion of state approved medical assistant program. Any combination of education and experience providing the required knowledge or skills. High school diploma or equivalency is required. Phlebotomy Technician certification or Laboratory Technician Certification preferred.
Essential Functions against which position incumbent will be evaluated:
- Performs all duties of Patient Care Technician classification, including preparing patients for procedures and assisting providers with procedures; assisting as necessary with phlebotomy procedures; obtaining lab results; assisting with referrals and medication refills; dispensing medications an/or administration of vaccines accurately and as ordered by physicians; pulling patient charts from medical records; and reordering clinical as ordered by physicians.
- Assists the Charge Nurse with coaching and familiarizing new clinical staff with clinical protocols and procedures, and with identification of need for new clinical protocols.
- Assists the Charge Nurse by taking a lead role in clinic staff activities and in service training, including preparation and presentation of training sessions.
- Assists the Charge Nurse in ensuring that patient examination rooms and medical equipment are disinfected and sterilized, to include autoclaving.
- Assists the Charge Nurse in ensuring that clinical staff adheres to patient confidentiality guidelines per center protocol.
- Assists the Charge Nurse by making sure that messages left on the telephone, fax, or email are responded to in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates skill and knowledge in specimen collection, which includes urine collects, cultures from eyes, nose and throat.
- Administers oral and injectable medications.
- Cleans and washes wounds if necessary and change dressings.
- Administers oxygen, nebulizer and breathing treatment.
- Removes sutures and staples.
- Educates patients on peak flow meters.
- Maintains stockroom.
- Reviews and assembles charts for completeness according to guidelines; files all medical reports in appropriate medical records.
- Interacts with staff and patients in the performance of assigned job duties in an efficient, courteous and effective manner.
- May be asked to work extended hours or on weekends.
- Willingly accepts other assigned responsibilities/projects in support of the HRCHC Inc. mission.
Administrative and/or Clinical Competencies:
Intermediate knowledge of computer systems/keyboard operations
Intermediate knowledge of accessing the internet and e-mail system
Operation of multi-line telephone consoles
Basic knowledge in the use of office equipment
Usage of correct grammar
Knowledge of general office practices, procedures, and routine as well as approved medical protocols
Database manipulation and reporting
General organizational skills and multi-tasking.