- Posted: over a month ago
Are you interested in a job where you can influence and be immediately involved in a wide range of residential design and renovation projects? Do you love drafting detailed architectural plans, but desire to work more directly with Homeowners? Do you want to be a part of a structured process and team where you play a key role in turning design concepts into actual built projects?
If you are passionate about residential design and enjoy working with a diverse team and set of projects, Hammer might be the right fit for you.
Hammer is a fast-growing residential design and build company, serving the Washington DC Metro region with high-end renovations such as additions, whole home renovations, kitchens, and baths. We love thought leaders who know how to turn an idea into actionable steps, and we believe that through technology and process improvement, we can design, sell, and build some of the most beautiful and pragmatic renovations in our region. We don’t believe in just achieving the industry norm of our peers and competitors, we strive for ways to improve our people, systems, and end products.
The Architectural Drafter is critical to our business. You will have direct involvement and impact on the success of our individual projects and the company as a whole. So if you’re highly motivated and love to make an impact, read on to learn more about this opportunity!
Does this sound like you?
We need an Architectural Drafter who will help lead the development and execution of Hammer’s pipeline of renovation projects. In this role you will:
- Be the bridge between conceptual design and build-ready construction plans- turning our senior designers’ design-concept packages into fully permitted plan sets, architectural construction plan sets, shop drawings, and finish/fixture layouts.
- Accurately document and draft the existing conditions for projects, followed by taking the senior designer’s design concept and drafting the necessary construction documents for permitting and field use.
- Research, create, and draft solutions for various architectural problems, details, and/or shop drawings to successfully transition the design concept to a ‘buildable’ project
- Manage the relationship with the Hammer client throughout the preconstruction process, meeting with them to review, edit, and approval all drafted plans, including necessary or suggested changes.
- Be the key point of contact, alongside the Senior Architectural Designer and Creative Director, to Hammer clients during the preconstruction phase, by providing clear and consistent communication, establishing aggressive but attainable expectations, providing expert guidance, and assertive leadership to help stakeholders and the Homeowners meet objectives and deadlines.
- Successfully (accurately, completely, efficiently) expedite required building permits for your projects- identify permitting requirements, draft and compile necessary plans and supporting documents, hire and manage required professional engineers and surveyors, apply and submit for required permits, and complete and/or manage required review comment responses.
- Own and develop the process to meet objectives and deadlines by working with stakeholders from the sales, estimating, project design, professional engineers, and production teams.
- Own and protect the integrity of the project's design, scope, and budget.
- Be the problem solver. Whether that’s a late conference call, early morning jobsite meeting, extra research, sketching details, editing construction plans, emailing, texting, sending smoke signals, and/or ________ (you’ll need to come up with your own idea here) -- all to help your team get the job done.
This is an incredible opportunity for anyone interested in leveraging their architectural experience to take the next step in their career, gain exposure, and collaborate with a design team over a wide range of interior renovations, additions, and whole home projects.
Here’s what we are looking for:
- 3+ years of direct residential architectural design experience. We will help you expand your knowledge of different architectural products and construction methods, but you must come ready with a confident background in how an average renovation or addition goes together.
- Confident in Revit (you enjoy the program, know you are good at it and want to get even better). If you’re awesome at AutoCad and are prepared to make the ‘jump’ to Revit, we’d like to talk to you as well.
- An Architecture degree is a plus, but extensive hands-on experience can be just as (or more) impressive.
- Knowledgeable in residential remodeling/construction phases and architectural construction systems (i.e. foundations, framing, MEPs, etc) and/or kitchen/bath systems (i.e. cabinetry, tile, fixtures, etc)
- Confident in reviewing, editing, and creating architectural plans and details.
- Comfortable with meeting demanding deadlines, across multiple projects, simultaneously. It’s a mouthful, but we mean it.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment that is a combination of virtual and in-person. Our projects are primarily in the District and nearby. We love our home offices, but seeing you regularly in person is nice too (and required).
- Enjoys a work environment balanced with autonomy and collaboration. Enjoys independence and trust, but appreciates and believes in the power of the ‘team.’
- Not shy or afraid to engage, own, and solve problems rapidly. We move quickly, so we’ll expect the same of you.
- Motivated by a company culture that always seeks improvement and rewards those who achieve it for themselves and the company as a whole.
What’s in it for you?
Work with a team who cares about you, not just your output. We value people and their families. Work is work, it’s why we're here, and it’s why you are reading this job posting of course. But our families, at home and ‘in the office,’ come first.
Work with a team who puts people before money. This means integrity, humility, and compassion are at the top of our minds at all times. We are here to do serious business in the remodeling industry, but never at the expense of our values.
Enjoy autonomy and trust. This job is not for clock-watchers. When you can get the job done and done well, we believe you will know how to best manage your time and stakeholders.
Work with a supportive and expert team, all interested in seeing you learn, grow, and champion your job.
Plenty of room for growth. Whether that’s your expertise, compensation, or both, we are all for it. We started in 2004 and are still passionate about growing our people, our portfolio, and our company as a whole. Every person on the team has a direct impact on the top and bottom lines of the company and therefore, every person has the ability to build their own next opportunity here at Hammer.
- Health insurance premium stipend
- Dental and vision insurance
- Data and internet stipend
- Flexible working hours, a mix of office and virtual (work from home)
- Rockville office is in a modern and private coworking space fitted with an arcade, coffee bar, whiteboard room, and tv lounge areas.
- Company-provided laptop and monitor for use throughout your employment (based on role)
- 5 paid holidays plus paid days off for the Friday after Thanksgiving, December 24th, and January 31st.
- 10 paid time off days (per year) that start accruing the day you start
- 1 additional paid day off for every consecutive 12 months of employment to be used for birthday, subsequent earned day(s) off to be used for immediate family member(s) birthday(s)
Anyway, if all this sounds like your cup of tea then APPLY! We look forward to hearing from you.
Powered by JazzHR
Hammer Design Build Remodel
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?