Retail Clerk - Cascade Convenience Center
- $14 to $22 Hourly
HAMES CORPORATION and its affiliated and subsidiary companies - Sitka/Ketchikan Alaska
The spirit of Alaska isn't just in our store. It's in our DNA. Forged by independence. Furthered by hard work. Rooted in a legacy that extends back to 1949 when Clarence and Hopewell Rands opened shop in Sitka. Much has changed over the past six-plus decades. But one thing remains the same: our commitment to our customers and our community. Today, Hames Corporation is a fourth-generation family-owned and operated company, and we are much more than the region's number one grocer. We're a gathering place for doughnuts and coffee. A supporter of local charities, sports teams, education and the arts. A member of the world community with relief efforts for natural disasters. We invest in our employees and empower them to do whatever it takes to delight our customers. At Hames Corporation, we're a family.
Our employees are part of our extended family, joined by the common goal of delivering service that goes above and beyond. In addition to providing competitive compensation, good benefits and flexibility, we empower every employee to do what it takes to delight our customers, whether chasing down a specific item or ordering in a special treat for a landmark occasion. Alaska has long been known for amazing natural resources. At our company, it just happens to include the human variety.
The Retail Clerk position allows you the opportunity to service our community in a fast paced convenient / liquor store environment where you'll be responsible for providing exemplary customer service to patrons in need of gas, propane, cigarettes, food, wine, beer or spirits. To be successful in this position you must be someone who is outgoing and dedicated to maintaining positive, supportive relationships with our customers whether they are local or a traveling visitors. Additionally, to be considered for this position you must be over the age of 21 and able to obtain a TAPs card, Alaska Food Workers card and a UST class A/B or C certification with the assistance of our organization. If this sounds like you, we invite you apply and join our team and create a lasting impression and positive experience for the community and customers we serve.
DUTIES AND RESPONSBILITIES:
The essential duties of the Retail Clerk consist of, but are not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- THE CUSTOMER IS THE FIRST PRIORITY; the entire store is in the forefront of that activity; and every member of the store's team is here to fully support that priority with prompt and friendly service.
- Strive to always provide the best customer service whenever possible.
- Follow the assigned weekly work schedule to ensure adequate coverage in the produce area, by maintaining punctual and regular attendance.
- Arrive at work on time and leave per scheduled time unless otherwise directed.
- Work overtime as assigned.
- Dress and groom according to company policy, including uniform, name badge, and hat requirements.
- Always maintain a neat well-groomed appearance.
- Perform all duties in accordance with company rules, policies, safety requirements, and security standards, and all local, state and federal health and civil code regulations.
- Do not chew gum or play on mobile communication devices (MCDs) such as cell phones or tablets during the workday.
- Greet all customers that are within 5 feet of you, and provide them with prompt, courteous service, and assistance.
- Be attentive to the customer. This includes looking the person in the eyes and listening to their needs, to accommodate them.
- Assure the highest possible levels of sanitation and safety is maintain within the store and food preparation areas.
- Adhere to policy and regulations to be fully compliant with all applicable laws pertaining to food safety, health, and packaging requirements of prepared foods.
- Comply with all federal, state, and local requirements for the sale of age restricted products like tobacco, alcohol and pull-tabs.
- Maintain a clean, organized and neat presentation of products; this includes proper pricing, signs and tags.
- As assigned, order a plentiful, diverse mix of products based on local market conditions and customer needs and desires.
- Ring up customers' orders by scanning products or keying price into register according to established company policies and procedures.
- Finalize sales and collect payments by totaling order and accepting tender from customer.
- Alertly watch customers at pumps to help prevent drive-offs, unsafe misuse of gasoline containers or placement and pumping multiple cars within the same transaction. Furthermore, assist with the exchange and filling of propane tanks as requested.
- Stock merchandise in an efficient manner, learning and understanding the designated area priorities.
- When instructed, to train department employees in the use of all equipment, tools, and utensils to ensure their safety.
- Perform the receipt of merchandise into the department, verifying merchandise with packing slips, confirming prices, recording the entry of goods, processing documentation for back-ordered or short-shipped items.
- Follow approved procedures for transfer of products, price marking and restocking cases to ensure quality protection, public image, accuracy, and product rotation.
- Be aware of competitor pricing and advertising tactics to protect the company from market share erosion. Communicate recommendations to the department manager.
- Handle damaged or distressed merchandise according to company policy and assist in controlling the level of damaged goods.
- Keep all merchandise rotated in accordance with store policy and product code dates and always make use of the oldest product first (first in, first out).
- Assist in the planning of the store's merchandising plan for the following month with the Store Management.
- Make sure refrigerated cases and display shelves are properly stocked and always faced according to product movement and department standards to ensure maximum sales, quality, and freshness.
- Immediately communicate temperature failure of cases/storage areas or of any maintenance or equipment problems to the department manager.
- Takes affirmative action to control shrinkage and pilferage losses; observes security standards by staying alert and being aware of customer actions and behavior reported to manager any abnormal behavior.
- Maintain the cleanliness and upkeep of all equipment to ensure safe, clean, and sanitary operating conditions.
- Use all equipment, tools and utensils in a safe manner and comply with safety policies and procedures.
- Assist other store staff in the performance of their duties so that they will be familiar with and able to handle all jobs and positions.
- During any slow periods, to stay productive, performing other duties as assigned.
- To exhibit an attitude and approach to "get the job done no matter what it takes."
- Under the direction of the Store Management, mark down nearly dated products daily to promote sales of unsold goods and maintain the store' image for the highest quality products.
- To control excessive use of utilities and water and observe sound conservation practices.
- Notified department manager of policy violations that is having an adverse effect on department operations.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Shift Supervisor(s) or Store Management.
PHYSICAL AND GENERAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Must possess good communication and writing skills.
- Ability to understand the English language effectively in order to read and understand: Instructions for operating ovens, fryers, fire suppression systems and other mechanical and electronic equipment; Company handbooks, policies and procedures, and; Other written job-related documents including safety notices and other postings on company bulletin boards.
- Must have basic math and accounting skills to do product costing and percentages.
- Ability to fill out forms and compose and write reports.
- This position requires an individual capable of sitting, standing for extensive period of time, walking, bending, climbing stairs, and carrying loads up to 50 pounds. This position might require early morning, late nights and working holidays and weekends.
- Basic knowledge of computer literacy in computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Outlook, and/or Excel. Ability to multi-task, run a cash register, process transactions, and run store equipment.
- Must be 21 years or older.
- Must be able to obtain an Alaskan TAPs card, Food Workers Card and UST Class certification within 30 days of hire.
The work environment will be completed a climate controlled retail store and warehouse; which may include occasional exposure to refrigerated coolers and frozen food storage areas. On occasion will have to be exposed to outdoor weather such as rain, snow, sleet, including potential exposure to hot environmental conditions in order to accomplish tasks at hand. Additionally, certain tasks will require interaction and contact with potential hazards including but not limited to flammable and combustible fuels that can cause acute harm, such as burns, irritation and vomiting if not handled properly; such as propane and gasoline.
Job responsibilities include tasks or duties that could affect the safety or health of the public as tasks include working with unpackaged foods, potentially hazardous food or food-contact surfaces; selling age-restricted products for consumption such as alcohol and tobacco; and performing tasks with and around hazardous materials such propane tanks and underground storage tanks that contain gasoline fuel. Must hold or obtain the following within 30 days of hire: A valid food worker card issued by the State of Alaska's Division of Environmental Health (DEC); a valid Underground Storage Tank (UST) class C or higher certification; and a valid TAP card issued by the Alaska Cabaret, Hotel, Restaurant and Retailers Association. The financial cost to obtain these items are paid for by the organization upon an offer of employment.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and skills required of personnel so classified.
Hames CorporationSitka, AK
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.