Frozen Clerk - Sea Mart Quality Foods
- $16 to $22 Hourly
HAMES CORPORATION and its affiliated and subsidiary companies - Sitka/Ketchikan Alaska
The spirit of Alaska isn't just in our store. It's in our DNA. Forged by independence. Furthered by hard work. Rooted in a legacy that extends back to 1949 when Clarence and Hopewell Rands opened shop in Sitka. Much has changed over the past six-plus decades. But one thing remains the same: our commitment to our customers and our community. Today, Hames Corporation is a fourth-generation family-owned and operated company, and we are much more than the region's number one grocer. We're a gathering place for doughnuts and coffee. A supporter of local charities, sports teams, education, and the arts. A member of the world community with relief efforts for natural disasters. We invest in our employees and empower them to do whatever it takes to delight our customers. At Hames Corporation, we're a family.
Our employees are part of our extended family, joined by the common goal of delivering service that goes above and beyond. In addition to providing competitive compensation, good benefits, and flexibility, we empower every employee to do what it takes to delight our customers, whether chasing down a specific item or ordering in a special treat for a landmark occasion. Alaska has long been known for amazing natural resources. At our company, it just happens to include the human variety.
The Frozen Clerk position allows you the opportunity to provide superior customer service by way of responding to customer inquiries on the sales floor. This is a physically demanding position that maintains pricing, stocking and rotation of frozen products such as ice cream, prepared meals, frozen fruits and vegetables and pizzas. To be successful in this position you must be someone who cares about our customers shopping experience, and an individual who will strive to make it the best one possible. Additionally, this position may be required to work as demands may require including early morning, evening, weekends, and holidays. If this sounds like you, we invite you apply and join our team and help us provide the friendliest, most upbeat customer service to our community and patrons alike.
DUTIES AND RESPONSBILITIES:
The essential duties of the Frozen Clerk consist of, but are not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- THE CUSTOMER IS THE FIRST PRIORITY; the entire store is in the forefront of that activity; and every member of the store's team is here to fully support that priority with prompt and friendly service.
- Strive to always provide the best customer service whenever possible.
- Follow the assigned weekly work schedule to ensure adequate coverage in the meat area, by maintaining punctual and regular attendance.
- Arrive at work on time and leave per scheduled time unless otherwise directed.
- Work overtime as assigned.
- Dress and groom according to company policy, including uniform, name badge, meat coat and hat or apron requirements.
- Always maintain a neat well-groomed appearance.
- Must wear an approved hat or hair net.
- Perform all duties in accordance with company rules, policies, safety requirements, and security standards, and all local, state and federal health and civil code regulations.
- Do not chew gum or play on mobile communication devices (MCDs) such as cell phones or tablets during the workday.
- Greet all customers that are within 10 feet of you, and provide them with prompt, courteous service, and assistance.
- Assist customers in retrieving items from inaccessible areas or in obtaining products that are either located in warehouse or items they may have difficulty handling.
- Comply with quality control standards and high customer service methods. Be attentive to the customer. This includes looking the person in the eyes and listening to their needs, to accommodate them.
- Become familiar with invoice documents and confirm accuracy of item descriptions, size, quantities, and pricing during vendor product deliveries.
- Assist in receiving and unloading merchandise; check and verify receiving to ensure that items listed on vendor invoices are all delivered; check product for quality, count, and condition.
- Follow approved procedures for receiving product, price marking and restocking to ensure quality protection, accuracy, and product rotation.
- Perform the receipt of merchandise into the department, verifying merchandise with packing slips, confirming prices, recording the entry of goods to the receiving registers, processing documentation for back-ordered or short-shipped items.
- Open cartons and price items accurately and legibly; keep store management informed of pricing problem areas and discrepancies.
- Keep all cold food items rotated in accordance with store policy and product code dates and always make use of the oldest product first (first in, first out),
- Maintain a clean, organized, and neat presentation of products; this includes proper pricing, signs and tags.
- Take stock to applicable storage and shelf areas and notify manager of low inventory conditions or excessive product spoilage problems.
- Under the direction of the Dairy and Frozen Manager or Grocery Management, mark down outdated products daily to promote sales of unsold goods and maintain the store's image for the highest quality for grocery products.
- Accurately record markups and markdowns, in-store use of merchandise, voids, and refunds and bad merchandise/spoilage write-offs in accordance with company policies.
- Be aware of competitor pricing and advertising tactics to protect the company from market share erosion. Communicate recommendations to the Dairy and Frozen Manager or Grocery Manager.
- When directed, assist in the planning of the department merchandising plan for the following month.
- When directed, merchandise is ordered to maintain inventory and control out-of-stocks and over-stocks and to maximize sales turnover.
- Take affirmative action to control shrinkage and pilferage losses; observes security standards by staying alert and being aware of customer actions and behavior reported to manager any abnormal behavior.
- Maintain all freezers and cold case area(s) in a clean and orderly manner, especially those areas of high visibility.
- Assure the highest possible levels of sanitation and safety within the entire department.
- Assist in keeping food preparation, display, and storage areas clean, clear and in good order through regular cleaning and sanitation program.
- When assigned, routinely check refrigeration equipment for proper performance.
- Immediately communicate temperature failure of cases/storage areas or of any maintenance or equipment problems to the department manager.
- Maintain the cleanliness and upkeep of all equipment to ensure safe, clean, and sanitary operating conditions.
- Use all equipment, tools and utensils in a safe manner and comply with safety policies and procedures.
- Ensure the safe and reliable condition of all equipment in the department, immediately report any discrepancies to the Store Management of any maintenance or equipment's problems.
- Assist other department as assigned by your supervisor in the performance of their duties so that they will be familiar with and able to handle all jobs and positions within the grocery department.
- During any slow periods, to stay productive, performing other duties as assigned.
- Exhibit an attitude and approach to "get the job done no matter what it takes."
- Maintain a positive attitude and spirit of cooperation within the department. This includes the degree of cooperation, communication, and coordination between this position and its peers in other departments.
- When instructed, to train department employees in the use of all equipment, tools, and utensils to ensure their safety.
- Notified department manager of policy violations that is having an adverse effect on department operations.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Dairy and Frozen Manager and/or Grocery Manager.
PHYSICAL AND GENERAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Must possess good communication and writing skills.
- Must have the ability to read and comprehend instructions and information.
- Must have basic math and accounting skills to do food costing and percentages.
- Ability to read, write, and understand English language effectively in order to read and understand written or verbal directions.
- Ability to hear, speak and understand the spoken word in order to respond promptly to pages for assistance, to accommodate verbal requests from customers for information or assistance, to answer telephones, and be able to communicate effectively with department employees, the store's coworkers and customers; Company handbooks, policies and procedures, and other written job-related documents including safety notices and other postings on company bulletin boards.
- Ability to fill out forms and compose and write reports.
- This position requires an individual capable of sitting, standing for extensive period, walking, bending, climbing stairs, and carrying loads up to 50 pounds. Must be able to speak and communicate clearly. This position might require early morning, late nights and working holidays and weekends.
- Successful performance requires specific vision abilities that include close vision and ability to adjust focus including having sufficient visual acuity to check and verify invoices and other written documents.
- Must be 18 years or older.
The work environment includes continuous duties in refrigerated rooms and cold storage areas with frequent duties in frozen storage boxes maintained at temperatures as low as 20 degrees below zero. The work can be physically demanding and may include exposure to repetitive motions, and cold temperatures including working on surfaces that are wet and slippery.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and skills required of personnel so classified.
Hames CorporationSitka, AK
Finance and Insurance
How can the hiring manager reach you?
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.