Veterinary Assistant or Registered Vet Technician (RVT) (P/T)
Love animals? Want to spend your day surrounded by wagging tails and soft purrs?
Humane Society Silicon Valley (HSSV), an independent, privately funded, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, has been serving people and pets in Silicon Valley for over 90 years. Having facilitated more than half a million animal adoptions, HSSV is leading the charge for animal welfare through community programs, creative marketing techniques, and effective homeless animal prevention strategies.
We are a passionate, high-performing team who believes that collaboration is key to our success. We do our best work by leveraging each other’s strengths and making sure to create opportunities for the work to be fun and meet our individual goals.
We take our mission seriously: To save and enhance lives – both two-legged and four legged! We envision a better world for animals and the people who love them, and we’re dedicated to making that vision a reality.
Overview we are looking for a Veterinary Assistant or RVT to care for and treat shelter and privately owned animals in our state-of-the art medical center, which cares for over 7,000 homeless pets and performs over 8,800 surgeries each year. Position works an alternative work week of 2-10 hour days. Work shifts may include duties in onsite spay/neuter/vaccine clinic, in-house shelter medicine, or mobile spay/neuter and wellness clinics.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Become a member of a high performing team comprised of Veterinary Assistants, RVTS, Veterinarians, and volunteers to provide the highest standard of care to animals.
- Assist Veterinarians with pre-, peri-and post-operative care of animals, administer treatments to hospitalized patient, perform diagnostic tests and triage new shelter intakes.
- Participate in examinations and various soft tissue and orthopedic surgeries.
- Ensure surgical and treatment areas are clean, sanitary and maintain a safe environment.
- Perform dental x-rays and prophylaxis procedures.
- Complete standing orders for medical treatment per established protocols.
- Triage patients requiring medical attention, including the use of telehealth technology.
- Discharge surgical patients and provide excellent customer care and client communications.
- Ensure prompt and accurate paperwork procedures are followed each day.
- Adhere to HSSV’s safety, disinfection, and animal care protocols.
- Maintain a professional and collaborative attitude when working with co-workers, or cross-functionally with staff in other departments.
- Other job duties may be assigned as needed.
- RVT - CA licensed Registered Veterinary Technician required.
- Vet Assistant - must be able to acquire a Veterinary Assistant Controlled Substance Permit (VACSP) in compliance with the California Veterinary Medical Board: https://www.vmb.ca.gov/applicants/vacsp_faq.shtml.
- Experience caring for animals in a medical or animal shelter setting using fear free animal handling techniques
- Ability to respond appropriately during an emergency and maintain competency in CPR procedures.
- Comfort around all types of pet animals required
- Excellent customer service skills and must enjoy a fast-paced work environment.
- A team player willing to jump in and help in any area.
- Motivated with a desire to learn and grow and dedicated and passionate about saving lives.
- Strong leadership and communication skills.
Work Days and Hours
Hours are flexible and based on organizational needs. Depending on staffing needs, overtime may be required. Shifts start as early as 6:30am and some end as late at 7:30pm – schedule is 2-10 hour days. Because of the need to care for animals onsite 7 days a week, positions require working at least one weekend day.
Add "apps.bamboohr.com" to your email contact list so you make sure to receive emails from HSSV regarding your application.
AnimalView All HSSV Jobs
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.