Director of Division ofHealth Services – Kenosha County, WI (Passion.Pride.Purpose.)
Are you a strong public health professional with experience leading a community health organization?Are you comfortable serving as the face of the Health Department to the community?Do you have experience interacting with multiple levels of community leaders?
Don't pass up the opportunity to investigate this role with a top tier county health department that is recognized for its innovative and forward-thinking style of addressing community needs.
Do you desire to make a significant impact in a short period of time?How about rounding out your own team?This opportunity includes the ability to select a key member of your management team.
If the thought of leading a strong team, creating innovative processes, and making a positive impact on public health gets you excited then we should talk!
On top of it all, you would be in Kenosha County (WI) - a great place to live, work, play and raise a family!
Send us your resume today.We look forward to speaking with you!
For more information please see below.
ABOUT THE JOB
This professional leadership position plans, organizes, develops, supervises, directs, evaluates, and administers the Kenosha County Division of Health programs and services and leads the workforce.The position is appointed by the Kenosha County Executive and approved by the Kenosha County Board of Supervisors.
Responsible for the development and overall operation of a comprehensive full service health department including supervision of nursing, laboratory, and environmental health services for Kenosha County and maintaining a Level III local health department in Wisconsin. This position is advisory to both the Kenosha County Human Services Committee of the County Board and the Board of Health for policy development, formulation of community health improvement plans, program implementation and evaluation, preparation of the annual budget, professional guidance and workforce development of staff, coordination with other community partners and resources, and integration of the Kenosha County public health services into the county-wide community health care system. Responsible for providing and enforcing all public health practices and standards mandated by Wisconsin Public Health Statutes (Chapter 250-255), local ordinances and regulations. Facilitates the ongoing strategic community health improvement plan entitled “Healthy People Kenosha County.” Charged with maintaining community partnerships to mobilize a community health improvement plan, assuring a high standard of sanitary conditions, and prepares and distributes the community health needs assessment reports. This position reports to the Director of the Kenosha County Department of Human Services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Direct and administer the operations of the Division of Health
- Lead community health promotion efforts by catalyzing, conducting, supporting and sustaining health prevention, protection and promotions activities
- Partners with health care clinicians and leaders in widely diverse sectors, from social services to education to transportation to public safety and community development to coordinate community services, activities and health resources
- Leads and manages staff and conducts annual performance evaluations of leadership team and ensures regular evaluations of all staff
- Develops policies, priorities, strategies, and formulates plans for public health program implementation and community health improvement
- Assures the development, review and implementation of the community health assessment, community health improvement plan, division strategic plan and workforce development plan;
- Prepares and justifies the annual budget
- Oversees the administration of all clinical services, population health, nursing, laboratory, and environmental health programs
- Provides workforce development and evaluation of staff on public health core competencies associated with Tier III categories.
- Prepares reports, evaluation and analyses as required on program operations
- Assures periodic and timely release of community health information regarding communicable and/or chronic diseases, general population and environmental health information
- Represents the County of Kenosha by participation and leadership on community health improvement planning, policy determination, and development on various committees, councils, agencies, and commissions
- Responds to citizen inquiries, complaints, request for information, and resolving issues as required
- Facilitates/Attends staff, departmental, and administrative meetings, keeping abreast of current community and public health developments
- Prepares state and federal grant management summary reports as well as statistical data
- Prepares annual reports for the Kenosha County Board of Health, Kenosha County Department of Human Services and Wisconsin Department of Health Service, Public Health Division
- Maintains access to vital records and vital statistics from the Kenosha County Register of Deeds, as per Chapter 69, Wisconsin Statutes
- Administrative Officer of the Board of Health, responsible for meeting agenda, annual schedule, minutes, and recommendations from the Board of Health
- Performs all duties as assigned and required for the effective administration of the Division
QUALIFICATIONS - MINIMUM
Education and Experience
- Master's Degree in Public Administration, Public Health, Environmental Health, Health Education, or similar field (from a college or university of recognized standing)
- Minimum of 3 years of full-time experience in an administrative position in a public health agency (HSS 139.05 Health Officers), or any combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Minimum of 5 years of supervisory/management experience
- Valid driver's license
COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESSFUL PERFORMANCE OF JOB DUTIES
- Demonstrated working knowledge of the theory, principles and practices of public health, public health services and programs, public health nursing and environmental health
- Knowledge of community organizations and community resources
- Knowledge of the sociological aspects of community health programs
- Ability to work productively with local boards and committees
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the proven ability to effectively present to large groups and media
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with the public and community groups;
- Ability to tactfully enforce compliance of laws and ordinances