We are looking for an Office Assistant: Under direction performs a wide variety of general clerical and/or operational support duties; types
forms, memoranda, correspondences, reports; performs data entry; assists callers and visitors by
supplying information personally or directing information requests according to established procedures;
sorts, logs and maintains records and other documents; performs basic payroll duties, and performs
related duties as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
• Utilize word processors, type, proofread and process a variety of documents including general
correspondences, council and commission reports, memos, fliers and statistical charts from rough
drafts, dictaphone recordings or verbal instructions.
• Use a word processor to input or retrieve data such as in the maintenance of mailing lists and
participant or client registrations; design and develop flyers and brochures.
• Determine proper spelling, grammar, and paragraphing; develop proper formats for forms, charts,
and reports; edit and review documents as necessary; print final documents and distribute;
operate peripheral office automation equipment.
• Maintain petty cash, daily cash, and daily revenue records; submit daily records to Finance
• Maintain employee time cards; check account number charges and time-off requests; file daily
• Perform a variety of general accounting operations including payroll, receivables, payables and
• Input and retrieve data from the computer; maintain general mailing lists, class registrations and
other information; design flyers and brochures.
• Perform non-police/fire radio dispatch, operate 2-way radio, dispatch people, equipment or
vehicles to locations; prioritize calls; follow general customer service procedures.
• Process City maintenance service requests; maintain files and notify supervisors of incomplete
• Process purchase orders; type purchase and check requisitions.
• Make reservations for City facilities; maintain a master calendar; type reservation contracts.
• Maintain centralized department records including contracts, project files, tract maps, plans, and
• Receive and process applications for permits and licenses.
Any combination of education and experience that is equivalent to the following minimum qualifications is
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
One year of experience performing standard clerical duties including some public contact.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
Working knowledge of:
• modern office methods and equipment including business correspondences and filing.
• Word processing equipment and use.
• Correct English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
• Public contact skills.
• Deal tactfully and effectively with the public.
• Learn the organization, procedure and operation details of the City.
• Proofread typed material; type accurately.
• Perform clerical work including maintenance of appropriate records and extract data from these
records for report purposes.
• Operate word processing equipment and software.
• Understand and follow both oral and written instructions.
• Perform routine mathematical calculations accurately.
• Establish and maintain effective work relationships with those contacted in the performance of