HPI is a full-service real estate company serving Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston and the surrounding Central Texas areas. The Associate Director is an essential role at HPI. In collaboration with assigned team and property accounting department, manage class A commercial office and industrial properties in accordance with owner goals, industry best practices and management agreement. Working with the Dallas Partners, all HPI Partners, the Director of Property Management and COO, leverage their leadership abilities and experience to provide operations, process, management, accounting and strategy input and mentorship across the organization.
Title: Associate Director of Property Management
Location: Dallas, TX
Priority functions / Accountabilities
· Manage office and industrial property teams in accordance with industry best practices, ownership goals and management agreement.
· Collaborate and lead direct reports (Property Manager, Assistant Property Manager and Building Engineers) and property accounting department.
· Onboarding of new properties during staff recruiting and selection, staffing transitions, etc. – this role needs to be able to directly manage a property on an interim basis as needed.
· Associate Directors and Senior Managers are responsible for client and relations to ensure HPI is viewed as a team - be accessible and knowledgeable, able to backup if a PM leaves or is out. Attend regular calls and/or meets as the Peer or Senior.
Property Oversight / Property Team Oversight
· Conduct property/tours on a regular weekly/monthly basis and document accordingly. Office buildings require physical walk through and onsite managers should be conducting common area inspections on a daily basis. Examples include:
b. Inspection of irrigation systems and landscaping and manage required repairs through vendors, maintenance technicians and at monthly inspection
c. Conduct roof inspections on a monthly basis through building maintenance technician and on an annual basis through external consultant.
d. Inspection of relevant lighting systems (internal/external for office and external for industrial) through vendors, maintenance tech and at monthly inspection; management of necessary repairs.
e. Identify maintenance issues through review/analysis of work order system reports by documenting/tracking all maintenance through work order system
f. Be on call and knowledgeable of all after hours issue resolution protocol
g. Address all building emergencies immediately, notify owners in writing, update HPI Managers as appropriate also, should be notified in writing ASAP but not later than 24 hours.
· Manage tenant move-ins and move-outs in collaboration with leasing, PM and accounting teams, in addition to tracking Tenant Finish and new construction warranties alongside in-house construction manager
· Responsible for knowing specifications of vendor services, quality control, and ability to fire or hire services for designated property
· Insurance Management: Understand and enforce all certificates of insurance for buildings, tenants, and vendors; monitor and drive compliance across your entire team.
· Develop understanding of ownership, debt structure, owner’s objectives and how it influences budget creation/management
b. Compliance with accurate development of all building reporting requirements
c. In collaboration with A/R department, Monthly A/R: Rent roll, reconciliations, collections, demand letters, and lock outs if necessary.
d. In collaboration with property accountant, Monthly A/P: approve all utility invoices, communicate expected expenditures and proper coding
- Keep the leadership up to date on your properties and your clients, include HPI Partners as necessary
· Team Leadership Expectations Assist with new business development. Flexibility to participate in pitches and directly manage new assignments based upon business needs.
· Support due diligence process during building acquisition and sale including lease review, financial review, contract review, onboarding etc.
· Coach, mentor and develop staff. Lead employees to meet the company’s expectations for productivity, quality, continuous improvement, goals. Review employee’s work product.
· Provide input on strategy for the Management Division, including new business, maintaining business, staffing and development, portfolio planning, process, etc. by participating in meetings and round tables, raising issues proactively to ensure we are working as a proactive and successful team and focused on the most important initiatives to the company.
· Responsible for continuous improvement and documentation of global processes and quality of output. Provide insight and leadership in areas of expertise (office, industrial, maintenance, process, operations, etc.)
· Represent HPI in industry organizations through active involvement in order to gain industry insight, leverage training for the company, promote involvement, promote HPI, and networking. Get your team involved, on the board, heading up committees, etc. We expect you and your team to provide potential candidates during your tenure through this networking.
· Be a part of a well-respected Senior Leadership team for management - foster a spirit of teamwork and unity among team members, HPI Leadership, Associate Directors and the broad team that allows for cohesiveness, support, and working effectively together to enable each employee and department to succeed while creating a motivating and satisfying working environment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
· 10-15 yrs experience (Commercial PM mandatory, Financial Mgmt, Staff Mgmt Experience)
· Prior experience managing over 600,000 square feet of commercial properties
· Minimum HS Diploma required, College Degree preferred; or comparable work experience
· Texas Real Estate License Required
· CPM or RPA Designation strongly preferred
· Affiliations with industry organizations (IREM, BOMA) preferred
· Prior experience with MS Office Suite required
· Experience with commercial property management software (example: Yardi, MRI)
· Knowledgeable about commercial building maintenance systems
· Able to create and understand financial reporting necessary to comply with management agreement
· Prior team management experience required
· Valid DL, clean driving record, and functional vehicle
· Physical ability to conduct property tours
· 5-7 yrs experience managing a large team (ex. Property Mgr, Assistant Property Manager, Property Assistant, Chief Engineer, Assistant Chief Engineer, Bldg Techs)
· Prior experience working with multiple service vendors (Security, Janitorial, Elevator, Parking Manager/Garage, HVAC, etc.)