HIAS seeks a Grassroots Campaigns Officer to advance HIAS’ grassroots advocacy efforts, which utilize community organizing and advocacy campaigns as a strategy for engagement, base-building, and social change. They will be HIAS’ primary ‘community organizer,’ working with the Senior Director, Grassroots Campaigns to build a network of grassroots leaders, and to grow and mobilize HIAS’ Jewish constituency to take advocacy action on issues related to refugees and asylum seekers, assuming responsibility for key aspects of this work. The Grassroots Campaigns Officer will work closely with the rest of the Community Engagement team and the Public Affairs division, as well as other HIAS departments as relevant. HIAS’ commitment to grassroots advocacy and campaigns is part of a multi-pronged Community Engagement strategy to engage the American Jewish community in HIAS’ work with refugees.
- Builds new and strengthens existing local advocacy coalitions around the country, by identifying key areas for growth and strategically connecting synagogues, organizations and grassroots activist leaders;
- Recruits, cultivates, trains and supports coalition leaders to build powerful local teams, develop short-term and long-term strategy, and execute strategic and effective advocacy tactics in their local communities;
- Cultivates and expands the HIAS Welcome Campaign Synagogue Action Network, developing and implementing a strategy to support 400+ congregations across the country in taking action for refugees and asylum seekers, in collaboration with the Senior Director, Grassroots Campaigns and other relevant staff;
- Recruits, cultivates and manages significant relationships for HIAS’ grassroots campaign efforts with rabbis, synagogues, and leaders, in relation to HIAS’ strategic advocacy goals;
- Organizes congregations, Rabbis, and coalition leaders to undertake Congressional advocacy at the district level, and leads HIAS’ in-district meeting strategy;
- Develops and leads in-person and virtual trainings and briefings that deepen the skills and knowledge of key constituencies, including rabbis, synagogue leaders and members, Jewish individuals, and others;
- Collaborates with Senior Director, Grassroots Campaigns to develop evaluation metrics for grassroots campaigns efforts, and gathers, records and analyzes relevant data;
- Supports the Vice President, Community Engagement and Senior Director, Grassroots Campaigns in proposal and report writing for Development, as relevant;
- Contributes to guides, resources, and briefing calls to educate HIAS’ base of activists and supporters;
- Plays a critical support role in HIAS’ rapid response efforts, including the participation in public rallies and actions;
- Assists in other HIAS grassroots campaigns projects and Community Engagement department efforts, as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- A minimum of five (5) years of professional experience as a community organizer, with demonstrated skills in leadership development, trainings, and relational organizing.
- Knowledge of and experience working in the Jewish community, particularly social justice organizations, synagogues, and adult networks; knowledge of refugee issues preferred.
- Experience with program development, implementation, and assessment.
- Experience creating and working in successful organizational partnerships, particularly in advocacy, solidarity and organizing spaces.
- Exceptional interpersonal, oral and written communication skills; a curiosity and empathy for others and what motivates and interests them.
- A strong team player who is receptive to feedback and who is eager to grow and to lead in a highly collaborative context.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills. Strong attention to detail and ability to work under quickly changing circumstances, and tight deadlines with a commitment to high quality standards.
- Undergraduate degree strongly preferred.