HBK Engineering, LLC is searching for a Utility Locate Supervisor/Team Lead. Our firm offers a professional work environment, project team approach, excellent benefits, competitive salary and growth potential.
This position offers the opportunity to be part of a team that supports underground utility locating with the purpose of damage prevention and facility protection of multiple utilities’ infrastructure. The Utility Locate Supervisor leads a team of utility locators in the daily response to dig ticket requests to locate, identify and mark existing client infrastructure and meet compliance with Company, State, and Federal processes, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Responsible for managing, scheduling and coordinating a team of utility locators which includes (but is not limited to) ensuring compliance with company policies, client contract requirements and support of day-to-day work loads
- Work under the guidance of a Project Management staff to provide the quality assurance of utility locating activities performed.
- Compare real world conditions to the record documentation to identify errors and omissions.
- Verify location of all client facilities within specified dig extents.
- Watch and protect client facilities within a given area as directed by the client on an on-call basis.
- Utilize computer and dig ticket management software to distribute locators daily ticket load.
- Utilize computer and GPS software to determine locators’ area assignment and load balancing.
- Utilize computer and various software systems to monitor ticket volume to coordinate proper emergency ticket coverage marinating on-time service to short notice emergency tickets.
- Perform safety audits to ensure locators are adhering to company safety requirements.
- Perform ticket audits to ensure locators are accurately locating facilities and following proper marking procedures.
- Train new hires.
- Assist with print reading and escalate any missing or inaccurate information.
- Assist locators with any field issues (back check locates, traffic control, abnormal situations).
- Communicate any locating conflicts to outside contractors.
- Act as mediator to alleviate any conflicts both inside the team and with outside contractors.
- Issue supplies and equipment to locators.
- Check vehicle GPS reports.
- Oversee daily operations of field locators and damage investigators.
- Facilitate teams weekly tailgate/resupply meeting. Keep track of and document attendance at mandatory meetings.
- Attend leads and client/contractor meetings.
- Graduation from high school or GED; 2-year or 4-year degree preferred.
- Minimum of 4 years of locating/and or field management experience.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Proficient in locating and marking underground facilities using various industry tools, standards and methods including the use of various locating devices and utility maps.
Essential skills and experiences:
- Strong Leadership skills and “Lead by example” approach.
- Familiarity with contractor’s means and methods for subsurface installations.
- Experience with locating, identifying and marking underground utilities (2 years).
- Experience with complex urban underground utility infrastructure.
- Experience in reviewing design drawings created by others.
- Experience in the use and basic maintenance of industry standard locating equipment.
- Experience using basic communication and tech devices.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational skills to be able to handle many varied tasks at once.
- Knowledge and understanding of safe worksite practices.
Tools and equipment used:
- Personal computer, including word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Motor vehicle.
- Phone, Camera, GPS.
- Tape measure, wheel, various types of locating equipment including but not limited to conductive and inductive radio devices, metal detectors, etc.
- Physically capable of moving about on construction work sites, public streets and parkway.
- Ability to stand, walk, kneel or sit for extended periods.
- Hand-eye coordination necessary to operate computers and various measurement, locating and testing instruments.
- Capable of lifting up to 75lbs.
- Work safely outside in all weather conditions year round.
- Occasionally work in excavations areas and roadways.
- Occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, and vibration.
- The noise level in the work environment is occasionally moderate to loud.
- Required to participate in a rotational on-call service.
- Required to work nights or weekends as needed.
Offers contingent upon satisfactory results from our standard background check and receipt of results of a satisfactory drug screening test from a location specified by HBK.