- Posted: September 23, 2022
Summary of Position
Accurately & efficiently prepare oysters for raw and cooked consumption. Perform other duties in the areas while maintaining a clean, safe and sanitary work area.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
An Oyster Shucker is responsible for ensuring the Oyster bar is prepared based on established procedures. To provide assistance to kitchen manager and kitchen staff with food preparation. Reading and following established recipes and plating requirements as set by GCRG. The Oyster Shucker provides fast, accurate shucking of Oysters. When applicable, the Oyster Bar is centrally located in the dining room of the restaurant. Interaction with guests and a positive attitude will be a large part of your responsibility. Must know details of oysters serving daily; harvest area, size, and salinity.
- Shucks fresh oysters, preparatory to fresh packing
- Holds shellfish firmly and forces shucking knife between halves of shell at hinge juncture
- Twists knife to sever muscles holding shell closed pries open
- Cuts shellfish from shell, serves it on appropriate tray.
- May break off edges of shells before shucking.
- Cleans & prepares shellfish for serving to customers.
- Sprays shellfish when needed.
- Ensure oyster bar is properly prepared based on established procedures
- Provide assistance to kitchen manager and kitchen staff with food preparation
- Follow established recipes and plating requirements as set by GCRG.
- Rotates oysters daily, oldest on top.
- Provide fast, accurate shucking of oysters
- Restock all items through each shift
- Ensure all tools and equipment are properly stored and safely used
- Ability to follow daily HACCP sanitation procedures
- Follow all relevant health department rules and regulations
- Stores oyster tags as manger request.
- Customer/Client Focus
- Communication Proficiency
- Organizational Skills
- Presentation Skills
- Teamwork Orientation
- Time Management
- Stress management
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Job operates in a kitchen and routinely uses sinks, shuck knives, chain-mesh gloves, and oyster cleaning stations.
Must be able to work all areas of the restaurant and operate kitchen equipment. Position requires standing, bending, lifting, kneeling, and walking the entire workday. Must have the ability to lift 35 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally.
Must vision ability, hearing ability with eye and hand coordination. Must have professional communication skills. Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time and maintain exceptional hygiene and grooming habits.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This position regularly requires long hours and frequent weekend work.
Some travel is expected for this position.
Experience and Education
High School diploma or equivalent
Previous experience in a commercial kitchen, basic knife skills, knowledge of standard cooking methods preferred. Must have the ability to understand and apply written and verbal instruction. We have a thorough training program to prepare you for success in your position.
Previous shucking experience.
Gulf Coast Restaurant Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws in all locations where GCRG operates. GCRG is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
HALF SHELL OYSTER HOUSE TRUSSVILLE
218 Main Street Ste:100Trussville, AL
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?