Veterinary Operating Room Technician- Surgery
Gulf Coast Veterinary Specialists Houston, TX
- Posted: over a month ago
- $16 to $23 Hourly
- Benefits: 401k, dental, life insurance, medical, vision
Surgery Technicians are under the direct guidance and supervision of the Surgery Technical Staff Supervisors, Ryan Buck, CEO and the doctors. Occupants of this position are required to assist the practitioners to the fullest possible extent, to help improve the quality of care given to the patients of Gulf Coast Veterinary Specialists and to aid the surgeons in achieving greater efficiency by relieving them of technical work and administrative detail. Operating Room technicians are LVTs or assistants that will become LVTs within 1 year of employment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide restraint of pets for examination and treatment by veterinarians. Prepare medications (both injections and dispensed medications) for both outpatients and inpatients.
- Complete all necessary paperwork associated with surgical procedures.
- Calculate drug dosages.
- Log out and administer controlled substances.
- Pulling all packs and equipment needed for surgical procedures and setting up the O.R.
- Induce, maintain and monitor anesthesia; prepare patients for surgery; circulate in the operating rooms; scrubbing in to drape off patient, set up instrumentation and assist surgeon during surgical procedures; administer I.V. fluids; provide supportive therapy to patients in surgery, recovery and post-operatively.
- Take dictation from the surgeon at the end of the surgical procedure in order to record the surgery report and post-operative treatments.
- Cleaning up the O.R after a procedure has been completed so it is ready for the next case to come in. Includes: taking dirty instruments and soiled laundry to Pack and Scrub, cleaning suction bottle, putting away any unopened instruments and supplies, emptying trash cans and replacing trash bags.
- Help the doctors treat patients; assisting in medical or minor surgical procedures such as irrigating wounds, implant removals, medicating and bandaging.
- Perform clinical laboratory procedures such as PCV, TP, Azostix and blood chemistries utilizing I-STAT portable clinical analyzer and Abaxis. Collecting blood and urine samples for laboratory analysis and submitting samples to Antech Lab. Prepare samples for shipment to offsite laboratories and prepare all laboratory request forms.
- Accurately recording all surgical procedures, diagnostics and treatments in patients chart and circling all associated service codes for invoicing.
- Maintain anesthesia machines and monitors.
- Access digital radiographs utilizing e-film software.
- Operate portable and stationary digital radiography units.
- Assist kennel personnel in keeping patients clean and dry at all times
- Assist ICU technicians and Client/Patient Service Coordinators when necessary.
- Prepare patients for discharge, being especially careful to ensure that patients being discharged are well-groomed and in a medically appropriate state.
- Perform daily and weekly cleaning duties.
Gulf Coast Veterinary SpecialistsWhy Work Here?
Awesome fast-paced work environment with great benefits that include PTO, and personal pet discount program!
The well-established referral hospital is located within our Gulf Coast Veterinary Specialists facility that contains 44 doctors across 17 specialty practices including Surgery and Orthopedics, Internal Medicine, Critical Care, Dentistry and Oral Surgery, Diagnostic Imaging, Animal Rehabilitation and Fitness, Sports Medicine, Oncology, Ophthalmology, Dermatology and Allergy, Avian and Exotics, Cardiology and Nutrition.
8042 Katy frwy.Houston, TX
AnimalView all jobs at Gulf Coast Veterinary Specialists