The Merchandise Planner leads the financial and inventory strategy for a category or set of sub categories, in collaboration with the category managers, across all channels and brands. The Planner ensures that item level forecasts and and supply strategies drive sales, margin and turn to meet financial goals. The Planner manages an inventory analyst and builds entry level talent to become future leaders. They will be a student of their business looking to maximize opportunities, manage product life cycle in conjunction with merchants to avoid aging and liable product. They will ensure best in class in-stocks online and in store and will perform regular sku rationalization. They will monitor order flow to stay on time and on budget. They will be critical to the Open to Buy process.
Responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to the following:
- Reviews item level forecasts and order proposals to drive sales and GMROI
- Control purchase order activity to maximize sales and stay on budget
- Collaborate with merchants to drive key market share events and promotions across channels with accurate sales and supply forecasts
- Provides roll up of forecasts and purchases to contribute to in season planning process and the open to buy
- Creates Omni-channel strategy to drive sales, margin and turn for a complex retailer with stores, multiple websites and call centers for sub categories and key items
- Maintains the planning system with accurate parameters to improve forecast accuracy, receipt flow and performance of algorithms
- Manages and develops Inventory Analyst to resolve purchase order dates, shortages, overages and problem shipment resolution and e-commerce backorders. Prepares them for future career at GC
- Supports Director of planning in building assortment parameters for a sub category to balance customer needs by segment, price point and ensuring powerful presentations
- Additional duties as assigned.
To join our band, you'll need the following experience:
- Bachelor's Degree preferably in Business, Merchandising/ Supply Chain or 4 years of relevant work experience
- Valid state driver's license and automotive insurance
- Ability to acquire work/travel documents (i.e., passport and visa) as required by various countries.
- 4 years of relevant work experience
- 3 years of experience leading others
- Strategic thinker with strong forecasting skills
- Strong understanding of financial measurements and retail math
- Well-versed in retail planning systems and data mining
About Guitar Center
Guitar Center embodies the world of creativity and music by encouraging our teammates to find their own individual sound. We strive to craft lifelong musicians and make a difference in the world by enabling musicians and non-musicians alike to experience the almost indescribable happiness that comes from playing an instrument. We believe in putting our customers first, engaging with respect and integrity and fulfilling our mission with passion.
Why join us?
With a career at Guitar Center, you become part of the world's largest multichannel musical instrument retailer. Whether at our Stores, Contact Centers, Distribution Centers, or Support Center, Guitar Center employees have a common goal: to help people find their sound and fill the world with more music.
Love this gig and want to apply?
Send your resume and cover letter today along with salary expectations!
Guitar Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides fair and equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected status prohibited under Federal, State, or local laws. All employment decisions are based on valid job‐related requirements.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our website, you may request a reasonable accommodation to express interest in a specific opening. You can request reasonable accommodation by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.