Flight Software Engineer
- Posted: over a month ago
Guardian Agriculture is seeking a Flight Software Engineer to help design, prototype, and harden our next generation of multicopters and ground systems. Are you hands-on and prefer an applied robotics position to a desk job? This role will require significant components of lab work, hangar work, and field work.
The successful candidate will apply systems thinking, aviation decision making, and operational know-how to safely and deliberately expand the capabilities of our crews and autonomous systems. They will analyze data to guide component selection, system design, and modifications to flight control software. They will become a go-to resource for developing, testing, and diagnosing complex electromechanical systems that operate robustly in regulated, unstructured environments.
Guardian Agriculture is developing large multicopters for applying agricultural chemicals to high-value crops. Relative to existing plane- and helicopter-based crop spraying solutions, our systems radically improve precision and safety while reducing chemical use, reducing impact on pollinating insects, and minimizing opportunities for organisms to acquire chemical resistance.
Guardian is a small, multi-disciplinary team of talented engineers, technicians, and operators who prioritize high reliability product and service design over exploratory R&D. We are a hands-on team and split our time between development work, system testing, and field deployments. We value safety, thoughtful design, team work, and a growth mindset as we scale the organization and build an autonomous system that farmers can trust.
- Develop our internal fork of the PX4 flight control stack
- Analyze flight sensor performance and associated fallback control modes
- Analyze flight data to identify opportunities for improvement and increased capabilities
- Design and carry-out R&D test activities at test sites and customer locations with flying hardware
- Creatively identify and address open-ended integration solutions that expand the system’s operational scope
- Minimum of 3+ years relevant work experience
- Fluency with Python and embedded C/C++
- Fluency with Ubuntu and Linux command line scripting and package management
- Desire to learn and innovate while solving complex problems
- Strong personal motivation to deliver solutions that work when deployed in the real world
- Ability to communicate and self-manage during periods of remote work
- Ability to implement interfaces/processes that are usable by non-engineers
- Ability to balance forward-thinking implementation choices with delivering solutions that meet immediate business needs
Nice to Haves:
- Experience working near or maintaining high voltage or high power machinery
- Experience with PX4 or other flight control stacks
- Experience with networking and communication busses (IP, CAN, SPI, UART)
- Experience flying small hobby drones
- Experience with digital signal processing and filter design
- Exposure to controls theory and implementation of PID and EKF state estimation
Flexible time off, competitive salary, stock options, free company lunch every day, comprehensive benefits package, lots of tools, and the opportunity to build and use play with flying machines that will have an environmental impact.
Guardian Agriculture provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Powered by JazzHR
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?