Recipe Developer/Editor - Pastry & Baking
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Recipe Developer/Editor – Pastry & Baking works within our highly talented creative team producing content for client and in-house projects including magazines and websites. This position will focus on but not limited to baking and pastry content and requires a desire to create recipes with a variety of editorial goals such as, healthy, quick-cook, or pin-worthy for today’s busy and diverse cook. The ideal candidate has a passion for food and thrives in a high-energy, creative environment with experienced professionals with desire to produce award-winning work.
Please include samples of your work along with your resume
Grey Dog Media is a growing, national-award-winning creator and publisher of custom and consumer media. Our products include magazines, catalogs, books, websites, videos, commercials, and collateral. Grey Dog Media offers a friendly, professional workplace with remarkable opportunities for creative-skills development and career advancement.
Recipe Development: Research, test, and write recipes for consumer magazines and/or product extensions, as assigned. This includes:
- Research, pitch, develop, and test consumer recipes in accordance with client’s brand guidelines and culinary philosophy
- Write and edit recipes throughout their development for clarity, consistency, and style
- Review final recipe nutritional analyses
- Deliver recipes in accordance with schedule to food publications editor and project Leads for review and approval
- Maintain a clean, organized, and professional test kitchen, testing recipes and products on site at Grey Dog Media headquarters
Food Editorial/Recipe Copy: Writes text for food stories in editorial outlines or culinary copy (culinary stories, headlines, recipe blurbs, etc.) for published publications. This includes:
- Partner with the Food Publications Editor in researching and developing culinary stories, information, and concepts; responding to copyedit queries; taking testing notes; and reviewing final proofs
- Research and outline culinary stories, sidebars, recipe concepts, etc.
- Research food and lifestyle trends of interests to the assigned project’s audience; maintain supporting files, resources, etc.
- Write and edit content in the areas of cooking and general culinary topics; edit and adapt existing culinary information and recipes to the assigned project/publication
- Verify facts, dates, and statistics using approved reference sources
- Proof culinary copy and recipes to detect and correct errors in information, spelling, punctuation, and syntax
- Collaborate with the digital team to align on major brand initiatives and to support cross-platform opportunities.
Food Photography: Assists with photography as assigned. This includes:
- Assist in planning, propping, and managing kitchen activities for food photo/video shoots
- Shop for photography ingredients and necessary food-prep equipment, including researching hard-to-find ingredients
- Assist food stylist in preparing food and maintaining a clean and organized kitchen
- Prepare food/recipes prior to and on photography days with guidance from food stylist
- Oversee and document recipe changes made during photography; advises proper way to photograph recipe food and/or culinary technique
A degree from a culinary school or food science program with baking & pastry emphasis; or extensive experience, preferably in a test kitchen or restaurant, and/or developing, writing, and editing recipes for brands or publications
- Experience working within the publishing industry highly preferred
- Understand how to use Adobe InDesign for entering text within layouts
- A solid understanding of grammar and the Chicago style manual
- Strong attention to detail in recipe testing, reading, writing, and editing
- Ability to work in a collaborative manner to meet client deadlines
- Ability to maintain a positive can-do attitude
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to purchase and carry groceries
Modern, well-equipped test kitchen, photo studio and office
Typical requirements for office, kitchen, and grocery shopping working conditions
Job Location: West Des Moines, Iowa
Benefits: Medical/HSA/401K/LTD/AD&D/Life Ins./Dental/PTO/Vision
Compensation: Highly Competitive
Grey Dog Media
590 Market StWest Des Moines, IA
Get fresh Recipe Developer jobs daily straight to your inbox!