Are you looking for a career in the green industry? Grass Pad, a locally owned family business, has been serving Kansas City and Omaha, NE for over 50 years. We are a small business that has grown a strong company culture and currently operates 6 retail stores and a sod farm. Our purpose is to provide green grass and plants to the environment and the products to make them flourish.
Our green team is growing, and we are interested in hiring an Accounting Associate to join us in our Olathe, KS location. Grass Pad is a rewarding place for energetic, motivated people who value a green, urban environment and are passionately committed to providing great customer service. The ideal candidate will have a head for numbers, experience with MS Excel, and strong analytical skills. This position will report to the Chief Financial officer and will need to demonstrate the ability to work proactively and independently in a fast-paced office environment while maintaining a high degree of accuracy. We can offer careers in the green industry for the right motivated individuals.
Job Duties include but are not limited to:
- Ensures proper and timely recording of financial transactions in the general ledger in accordance with GAAP and stated Grass Pad policy.
- Analyze and reconcile bank statements and general ledgers.
- Posts back office customer payments by recording cash, checks, and credit card transactions.
- Verifies validity of account discrepancies by obtaining and investigating information from sales, trade promotions, customer service departments, and from customers.
- Maintain daily sales and cash collection data for all stores/locations.
- Prepare and enter auto generated journal entries as well as end of month journal entries.
- Assist in maintaining general ledger for each store/location for consolidation.
- Prepare weekly sales report for management.
- Prepare and maintain weekly sales analysis history for management.
- Prepare monthly accounts receivable and inventory reports.
- Support the payroll, receivables, and payables processes.
- Assist with preparation of sales tax and use tax returns.
- Assist with development of system controls and maximize efficient use of automated systems.
- Ensure compliance of administrative/accounting staff with established safety, security, and record keeping procedures.
- Monitor daily sales transactions across all stores for accuracy and completeness.
- Input weekly payables into sub account system for payables team.
- Support in development of finance goals, priorities and procedures.
- Maintains accounting controls by following policies and procedures; complying with federal, state, and local financial legal requirements.
- Perform other accounting, financial, administrative tasks and special projects as needed.
Required Skills & Qualifications
A successful candidate for this position must demonstrate a high level of integrity, initiative, teamwork and problem-solving ability. The position also requires the following skills:
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of accounting principals
- Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts
- Excellent written, oral and presentation skills
- Flexibility to switch gears in a multi-tasking environment
- Honest, dependable and dedicated professional
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products: including advanced skills in Excel
- Strong attention to detail and thoroughness
- Strong business acumen
- High standards of quality and accuracy
- Strong follow-through on delegated tasks and projects
- Capable of learning and growth
This position requires a Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university in Accounting/Finance and three years of related experience.
We reward our employees for excellence and loyalty. We have a laid-back professional atmosphere with family friendly flexible scheduling. The position offers a competitive salary with an outstanding benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, paid vacation and a 401(k) plan with company match.
We are a company that prides itself in finding opportunities for happy, positive people to become successful. Join us at the Grass Pad; we are growing relationships.