At Grammarly, we believe that everyone should be heard and understood. We know that clear and effective communication improves people’s lives. We also know that we want to help everyone improve their communication. That’s why we’ve built an AI-powered communication assistant—to help the world’s 2 billion English speakers feel heard. So far, we’ve created a product that reaches 15 million people every day. Join us to reach the next 100 million.
We’re looking for a collaborative Analytical Linguist who can be a part of our Natural Language Processing team based in New York City. The team is also open to strong candidates who may prefer to work out of our office in San Francisco.
We use a combination of machine learning, deep learning, and pattern-based methods to drive our high-quality writing feedback. Linguists are essential to improving the quality of our checks, developing training and evaluation sets for our statistical approaches, and conducting user experiments. The team you will be partnering with is critical to moving forward Grammarly’s data-based approaches.
At Grammarly, our impact comes from a strong culture with highly engaged, highly motivated team members. We hire exceptional people and reward them with trust, mentorship, and the freedom to grow into their roles. We’re a passionate, growing team on a mission to improve lives by improving communication. If you’re up for the challenge, we would love to meet you!
- Work on mission-critical NLP research and product team tasks (e.g., designing annotation guidelines, annotating content, performing data quality control).
- Evolve and prioritize ongoing working processes associated with our data and annotation needs, (i.e., annotation guideline development, data development, etc.).
- Work with product teams to improve the feedback we provide to our users (e.g., problem-solve where to focus product improvement efforts, oversee portions of our annotation projects with external vendors).
This is the right opportunity for you if
- You embody our E.A.G.E.R. values (Ethical, Adaptable, Gritty, Empathetic, Remarkable)
- You have a bachelor’s, master’s, or Ph.D. degree in linguistics.
- You have at least two years of industry experience as an Analytical Linguist.
- You are a team player who enjoys linguistic annotation, evaluation, and data quality work.
- You have experience with scripting languages (preferably Python) in a Linux environment.
- You have experience with research processes and qualitative and quantitative approaches.
- You have experience with crowdsourcing and/or vendor management.
- You are able to speak and write English fluently, with an excellent grasp of English grammar and communication.
- You are positive, organized, and detail-oriented.
It almost goes without saying that we’ll offer you
- Big goals, exciting work, and fast learning cycles.
- Project exposure that impacts our users and product.
- Health care, 401K, communication coaching, and great coworkers!
Our commitment to diversity
The diverse experiences, ideas, and identities of Grammarly’s team members help us make better conclusions and drive great results for our users. We foster an inclusive work environment that welcomes team members of all backgrounds and perspectives. As an equal opportunity employer, we evaluate candidates based solely on talents, skills, and knowledge. Grammarly participates in E-Verify.