Construction Specialist - US Department of State PM-GPI
- Posted: over a month ago
- Benefits: medical, vision, 401k, dental, life insurance,
The U.S. Department of State (State) Bureau of Political-Military Affairs’ Office of Global Programs and Initiatives (PM/GPI) supports the management and implementation of global security assistance programs, including the U.S. Government’s two primary peace operations capacity building programs: the Global Peace Operations Initiative (GPOI) and the African Peacekeeping Rapid Response Partnership (APRRP). PM/GPI’s Peace Operations Capacity Building (POCB) Division serves as the GPOI/APRRP program management office.
GPOI was established in fiscal year (FY) 2005 to address gaps in international capacity to conduct peace operations. GPOI’s mission is to strengthen international capacity and capabilities to execute United Nations (UN) and regional peace operations by enhancing partner countries’ sustainable, self-sufficient peace operations’ proficiencies and building the capacity of the UN and regional organizations to conduct such missions. GPOI funds training, equipment, and capacity-building efforts in support of partner countries worldwide.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
• In support of GPOI/APRRP-funded facility construction and refurbishment activities, conduct initial site visits to survey and assess proposed construction locations and any existing structures; provide structure reports documenting existing conditions and professional evaluation on minimum and priority corrective actions necessary for any renovations or rehabilitation
• Assist in the development of construction or refurbishment plans, including assisting with the preparation of contract SOWs, performance work statements, and independent government cost estimates during the pre-award phase of a contract or grant
• As a non-voting member, advise Technical Evaluation Panels and provide technical knowledge to support the evaluation of construction/refurbishment project proposals
• Provide subject matter expertise to assist the COR’s/GOR’s oversight of project implementation
• Provide subject matter expertise to support interim and final inspections for facility contracts and grants
• Conduct other program-related support activities, as directed
• Bachelor’s degree in one of the following disciplines: civil/structural engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or architectural engineering AND at least ten (10) years prior professional experience designing, planning, managing, and completing vertical construction projects OR a Master’s degree in civil/structural engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or architectural engineering AND at least five (5) years prior professional experience designing, planning, managing, and completing vertical construction projects
• In-depth knowledge, understanding, and ability to interpret drawings in his/her discipline and have a basic understanding of the principals of his/her engineering discipline and how it fits in with other engineering disciplines.
• Ability to review shop drawings and submittals from the contractor and determine if coordination with other disciplines is necessary in addition to monitoring on-going construction work to identify problems or non-compliance with design or contract specifications.
• Demonstrated experience with construction design and management in a developing country
• Foreign language proficiency in French at a minimum level of 2 reading/2 speaking on the Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT) is desired
POSITION LOCATION: The physical work location at the Department of State, Columbia Plaza, 2401 E St. NW, Washington, DC 20520.
TRAVEL: Travel is authorized and expected for this position.
BENEFITS: Employer offers a highly competitive compensation package for this position, including comprehensive medical insurance, paid time off, federal holidays, and a 401K matching with no vesting period. Employer also provides at, no cost to our employees, 50K in life insurance, short and long-term disability insurance coverage.
SECURITY CLEARANCE: A Secret security clearance is required for this position.
Government ContractorWhy Work Here?
Universal Strategy Group, Inc. (USGI) is a highly respected company with great benefits.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
ConstructionView all jobs at Government Contractor