We are seeking a dynamic, experienced Controller to manage the accounting function for the hotel. Responsibilities include but are not limited to conducting and overseeing all aspects of the accounting process within a centralized accounting department. The Controller is expected to ensure accuracy and efficiency, assist departments in the preparation of budgets, monitor expenses and compile data to ensure accurate and timely monthly P&L statements. Review all ledger account reconciliations to include: bank statements, assets and liabilities. Coordinate and review monthly financial statements for accuracy, and review and prepare accruals on a monthly basis to include hotel purchases, utilities, and other expenses.
Hotel Controller Responsibilities:
- Implement and oversee tight financial controls throughout the property.
- Report financial results to owners and management in accordance with hotel Accounting Principles each month.
- Develop annual budget procedures and guidelines each year.
- Direct the daily, weekly and monthly reporting process in compliance with Management and Ownership requirements.
- Develop accurate and timely forecasts including labor-management along with other departments
- Direct control of costs and expenses in all areas.
- Oversee compliance of local, state and federal laws.
- Oversee risk management program, including all insurances.
- Oversee financial training of all management.
- In preparing for this position, candidate ideally will have worked in at least the following departments or positions: Hotel/Resort Controller, Assistant Director of Finance, Area Director of Finance
- Manage capital expenditures according to budget
- ROI calculations for projects and capital expenditures
- Strategic analysis of current operations
- Must be a citizen of this country or possess a valid work permit.
- Five years’ experience as a hotel/resort controller overseeing multiple revenue streams in excess of $50M.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Must have experience at properties of similar size and quality.
- Solid training in all areas of Accounting from A/P, A/R, General Ledger, Credit, Collections, Audit, Inventory control, Payroll, Budgeting, Costing, P&L preparation and analysis, etc.
- Work closely with Front Office, Reservations, Sales, Spa and F&B Department to assist them in identifying optimum ways to drive revenues while balancing market segments.
- Actively involved in yield management and revenue enhancement.
- Oversee consolidation of budgets and projections.
- Assist Departments in budget preparation.
- Provide management with operational reports.
- Prepare and review daily reports. Responsible for IS/MIS function.
- Responsible for IS/MIS, Telecommunications, and purchasing.
- Identify and recommend software applications.
- Review leases, contracts, agreements, subcontracts, and licenses from an accounting perspective.
- Clear, concise written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to sell concepts and ideas to management, peers, and employees.
- Experience making presentations in front of groups.
- Maintain a good working relationship with guests, groups, and personnel from other departments.
- Demonstrate team-building experience.
- Track record promoting an atmosphere of teamwork.
- Demonstrate the ability to lead by example.
- A mentor who has inspired, trained, and developed people for promotion. Solid career progression up through the ranks.
- Instill a "can-do" attitude in employees. Experience training and cross-training employees.
- BA/BS 4-5-year degree or foreign equivalency.
- Specific degree in Accounting or Finance