Community Support Specialist - American Sign Language Required
Goodwill Industries of Northern New England Scarborough, ME
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Goodwill Northern New England, a nonprofit social enterprise established in 1933.
For decades, Goodwill Northern New England has delivered workforce development and community inclusion services to people who struggle to find personal stability. Goodwill NNE provides direct employment opportunities through its retail and cleaning businesses in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont, as well as neuro rehabilitation services, residential programs, and day programming for adults with disabilities or deafness in Maine.
Our core beliefs guide our relationships with program participants, customers, employees – and the earth. We believe in generosity, opportunity, community, sustainability, and transparency. These beliefs guide us as we help people achieve personal stability and thrive as active, independent members in the communities we are all a part of.Job Description
Do you have Deaf Services experience? Would you enjoy working with participants of our LifeWorks Day Program? Goodwill Northern New England is currently hiring Community Support Specialists (CSS) in our Scarborough location, American Sign Language (ASL) proficiency required.
CSSs provide skills training in independent living, work readiness, relationship building, as well as self-advocacy and health. A typical day may include coordinating an Arts & Crafts activity, teaching coping skills, assisting participants as they expand their cooking expertise, all the while empowering others to be more independent. CSSs make a positive difference!
Why Work for Goodwill - Our part-time employees are important to us and we want the best, so we take care of them and their families.
- Dental and Vision insurance offered
- 403(b) retirement plan
- Paid Short & Long Term Disability
- Generous Paid Time Off Plan
- Paid Holidays
- 30% Employee discount at Goodwill stores in ME, NH & VT
- Exceptional career growth opportunities
- Discount on personal cell phone plans
- Local community discounts
- Caring coworkers/team that support you!
Two part-time positions available!
- Work Location: Scarborough, Maine
- Working Hours: 8:30am-2:00pm, Monday thru Friday
- Hourly Wage: $13.00-$14.00, depending on experience
*** American Sign Language (ASL) Proficiency Required ***
1) Supports service recipients associated with Goodwill’s Life Works Program. Duties include:
- In accordance with the service plan, serves as a model and provides hands-on support and direct teaching in areas including, but not limited to, interpersonal skills, financial management skills, personal care and hygiene, activities of daily living, and access to community services and leisure opportunities.
- Moderates verbal or emotional incidents through intervention techniques that preserve the dignity and safety of the service recipient(s).
- Completes all required documentation in accordance with program standards
- Maintains all required certifications.
2) Represents the Agency in all interactions with other members of the Goodwill community and with the general public, supporting the agency Vision of creating sustainable communities that thrive through the fullest participation of their diverse residents.
3) Furthers the organizational commitment to triple bottom line results: integrating social, economic and environmental goals into thinking, planning and actions.Qualifications
- American Sign Language (ASL), 3 years of experience
- Evidence of High School diploma or GED
- Valid driver’s license permitting operation of a vehicle in the State where employed; safe driving record
- Reliable transportation and automobile insurance that meets minimum state requirements
- Criminal background check that meets Agency and State standards.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to complete required certifications on time.
- The ability to stand or sit for long periods of time. Perform range of motion tasks that include but not limited to; reaching, bending, stretching and stooping.
- Ability to lift up to fifty (50) pounds and push 175 pounds.
- Experience supporting individuals with disabilities
- Mental Health Experience (when applicable)
- Training relevant to the program (A.CRMA, B.First Aid/CPR, C.NAPPI, D.College of Direct Support, E.Defensive Driving) or education/alternative training approved by the Senior Director
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Goodwill Industries of Northern New England
Personal CareView all jobs at Goodwill Industries of Northern New England