Case Manager, Housing Support Services (HSS) (Full Time w/Benefits)
- Posted: over a month ago
The Housing Support Services (HSS) Case Manager assists individuals/families in achieving and maintaining housing, while promoting awareness and teaching strategies that reduce the likelihood of a return to homelessness. The HSS Case Manager will provide home-based, individualized supports to help clients overcome barriers to housing, public benefits, stable income, education, healthcare, children's issues and other issues that could impede their ability to maintain stable housing.
- Support the mission and vision of Goodwill Industries of Northern Michigan.
- Perform work in a safe manner observing all Goodwill safety policies/procedures.
- Perform duties and interact with all Goodwill team members, clients, and customers in a professional manner.
- Respect the diversity of others including, but not limited to, those with cultural, ethnic, and gender differences, individuals experiencing homelessness, and persons with visible and non-visible disabilities.
- Serve as a case manager for single individuals and families who are enrolled in Goodwill's HSS program.
- Maintains appropriate, accurate, and timely case documentation across a number of domains, including HMIS assessments, case plans, case notes.
- Inform and empower each client to achieve goals and objectives.
- Teach or enhance client's life skills to promote client's maintaining independent housing and lives.
- Assist in completing paperwork for public assistance, job applications, housing recertifications, etc.
- Provide strengths based, client-centered housing focused case management to individuals and families exiting homelessness and entering permanent supportive housing. The housing-based case manager will adhere to a housing first model of housing and housing-based case management.
- Participate in planning and/or leading family strengthening, social, educational and community integration activities for HSS clients/tenants. Assist tenant with creating goals and setting up a network of resources to maintain housing stability.
- Provide transportation assistance to clients/tenants/guests as needed.
- Travel to clients' homes to provide supports/services.
- Respect privacy and confidentiality in accord with all relevant legislation.
- Act as a liaison between clients/tenants/guests served and landlords/property management companies to coordinate eviction prevention efforts and provide advocacy as needed.
- Strengthen professional relationship and increase collaboration with landlords/property managers and community agencies.
- Assist with planning and development of programs/Create and implement program forms.
- Attend Goodwill Housing Department staff meetings and other related housing meetings and trainings.
- Keep informed of HSS and the Goodwill Inn program rules.
- Adhere to all Goodwill Housing Support Services and Goodwill Inn policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned by Housing Services Manager.
Reports to: Family and Housing Supportive Services Manager
Supervises: May provide direction to Volunteers, Interns, and AmeriCorps members
Education, Licenses, Certifications and Experience:
Preferred minimum Bachelors Degree in Social Work or other Human Services field or equivalent combination of education and experience. Licensed Social Worker preferred. Valid Driver's License with clean, safe driving record and must possess, or be able to obtain, a Chauffeur's License.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Familiarity with local housing services and other community resources and agencies.
- Flexibility, creativity, motivation and problem-solving skills in serving the client/tenant/guest populations and ability to train/teach others.
- Solid teamwork skills.
- Strong verbal/non-verbal and written skills and ability to complete accurate, professional documentation of client/tenant/guest contacts using a computer.
- Excellent empathic listening skills.
- Ability to establish a trusting relationship with clients/guests of varying economic, cultural and functional levels.
- Strong interpersonal/problem solving skills to promote engagement of clients/tenants/guests served.
- Must possess a positive and enthusiastic attitude and strong commitment toward helping those in need.
- Ability to effectively de-escalate and learn from conflict through effective de-briefing.
- Ability to effectively work with diverse populations in a non-judgmental way.
- Ability to effectively balance and prioritize multiple/competing client needs and other responsibilities.
- Ensure the confidentiality of all persons served.
- Computer experience and expertise, including familiarity with Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Office, Excel.
- Good organizational skills.
- Timeliness and punctuality.
- Ability to follow instructions.
- Ability to effectively work independently.
- Previous case management experience.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to persons with disabilities or who are disadvantaged.
- Previous experience working with the homeless population or precariously housed is preferred.
- Open and accepting philosophy relative to homelessness.
Physical and Other Requirements:
- Routinely sits, stands, bends, walks, and climbs stairs, throughout the work day
- May be required to lift up to 20 pounds
- This position is considered a Safety Sensitive position and is subject to zero tolerance under the Goodwill Industries of Northern Michigan Drug Free Workplace Policy.
Required In-House Training:
- Fire Suppression/Emergency Procedures and Evacuation
- First Aid
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
Goodwill Industries of Northern Michigan
AddressTraverse City, MI
GovernmentView all jobs at Goodwill Industries of Northern Michigan