Adult Outreach Worker / Housing Navigator (F/T w/Benefits)
- Posted: over a month ago
The Outreach/Housing Navigator serves as a housing advocate for adults (age 25 years +) experiencing homelessness across the Greater Grand Traverse Region. The Outreach/Housing Navigator works within the community's Homelessness Crisis Response system to Identify and Engage individuals, link them with resources, and assist them in securing permanent housing as quickly as possible.
Primary Responsibilities/ Essential Functions:
- Support the mission and vision of Goodwill Industries of Northern Michigan
- Perform work in a safe manner observing all Goodwill safety policies/procedures
- Perform duties and interact with all Goodwill team members, clients, and customers in a professional manner. Respect the diversity of others including, but not limited to, those with cultural, ethnic, and gender differences, individuals experiencing homelessness, and persons with visible and non-visible disabilities
- Provide a safe, dignified and respectful environment for all persons served.
- Ensure the confidentiality of all persons served.
- Provide outreach and engagement services to adults (age 25 years +) experiencing homelessness in the Greater Grand Traverse Area.
- Practice Diversion away from homeless services as appropriate.
- Assess client's immediate housing needs (VI-SPDAT, TAY-VI-SPDAT or F-VI-SPDAT).
- Link clients with crisis housing (emergency shelter) as appropriate.
- Understand all processes and procedures of the homeless response system, including Coordinated Entry, Homeless Prevention, IST/Prioritization of Supports, Chronic Homelessness, Housing Choice Vouchers (HCV), Project Based Vouchers (PBV), Domestic Violence, Veteran's Services, Youth Services, etc.
- When appropriate, complete in-depth assessment (SPDAT or F-SPDAT) to help determine housing and rental assistance interventions.
- Collaborate with clients to develop individualized housing and budget plans.
- Link clients with appropriate resource referrals (e.g. Mental Health, employment, etc.) and assist client in engaging services.
- Complete client related data tracking information, including case notes and complete HMIS entries. Maintain a 95% Data Quality standard on all HMIS entries.
- Continually seek ways to improve program practices, policies and procedures.
- Adhere to all Goodwill Northern Michigan and Goodwill Housing Department policies and procedures.
- Grant writing and reporting as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned by the Housing Program Manager.
Reports to: Goodwill Housing Program Manager
Education, Licenses, Certifications and Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Social Work/other Human Services field, or current enrollment in a social work/human service/social service program required. Licensed social worker preferred. Two years in related experience with case management services, housing, and homeless populations preferred; CPR/First Aid; Valid Driver's License, and must possess, or be able to obtain, a Chauffeur's License.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Familiarity with local human service providers and other community resources and agencies
- Effective communications skills, including both verbal and non-verbal, as well as active listening
- Ability to engage and build trust and rapport with difficult to serve and/or resistant populations
- Ability to work with diverse communities and exercise mature judgment
- Highly motivated self-starter and ability to prioritize and coordinate multiple projects/tasks simultaneously in a high-pressure environment
- Demonstrate an ability to work independently and/or as part of a team
- Strong problem solving and conflict de-escalation/resolution skills
- Understand the relationship between income and housing to build a realistic housing plan
- Computer skills and experience, with proficiency in online data management systems
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to persons with disabilities or who are disadvantaged
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to persons with substance abuse disorders and mental illness
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to persons who are survivors of domestic violence
- Previous experience working with the homeless population is preferred
- Lifting up to 20 pounds, stairs, walking on uneven surfaces, and bending
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
Goodwill Industries of Northern Michigan
AddressTraverse City, MI
GovernmentView all jobs at Goodwill Industries of Northern Michigan