- Expired: June 29, 2021. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Accountant I/II prepares financial statements, bank reconciliations, general ledger functions and provides direct support to the Director of Finance in regards to all facets of accounting and financial analysis for all organization divisions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Accurately prepares journal entries entering into general ledger; Reconciles general ledger to ensure accounts are balanced
- Responsible for timely and accurate preparation of the month-end financial statements for all organization divisions
- Assists with annual divisional budget process
- Assists with creating and documenting internal controls and performing audit functions
- Reconciles bank accounts and general ledger accurately and timely
- Prepares financial reports for all organization divisions
- Investigates any unusual activity and reports findings making recommendations for corrective action
- Provides back-up support to Sr. Accountant
- Performs other duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or directly related discipline preferred
- Accountant I: Zero up to three years; Accountant II: Three (3) to five (5) years of progressive accounting experience with specific prior responsibility for general ledger reconciliation and financial statement preparation required
SCOPE OF SUPERVISION:
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Proficient in preparing and reviewing financial statements, reconciling accounts, and analyzing data
- Able to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
- Able to build strong professional relationships and able to interact with people from diverse backgrounds
- Uses logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Able to prioritize work load, completing tasks with numerous interruptions and little direct supervision
- Able to manipulate numbers for fiscal responsibility, creating budgets, reviewing expenses and accounting for budget overages
- Gives full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made and asking questions as appropriate
- Communicates effectively verbally or in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience
- Able to maintain confidential data and information
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office suite products especially Excel; Ability to learn new computer software including accounting and payroll software; Able to use computer software solutions to manage large amounts of information, including creating and editing databases, inputting data, retrieving specific records and creating reports
- Able to determine how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations and the environment will affect outcomes
- Able to effectively use mathematics to solve problems
Lifting up to 20 pounds maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying objects weighing up to 10 pounds. May be required to regularly stand for extended periods of time, walk, reach with hands/arms with full range of motion, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, push or pull. Regularly required to talk and hear. Frequently required to use hands and fingers to hold, handle and feel objects, knobs, keys and/or buttons.
Travel is defined as travel to all areas within Goodwill’s territory (Cecil, Harford, Baltimore, Howard, and Anne Arundel Counties, Baltimore City and the entire Eastern Shore of Maryland). In some cases, long-distance travel, including overnights may be required but is typically planned in advance. In some cases, travel may be unplanned. For positions requiring travel, employees must have access to transportation.
General office environment where the employee is infrequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, airborne particles or outside weather conditions. The noise level is usually quite.
Goodwill Ind. of the Chesapeake.
Finance and InsuranceView all jobs at Goodwill Ind. of the Chesapeake.