This is a local position for experience truck drivers with at least 6 months experience within the last 2 years.
Salary: $900-$1200 per week.
Shifts: Morning, Afternoon, Night.
This account is a local account that will operate within 150 miles of the Chicago, IL area. Drivers must be located within 30 miles of the zip code 60608.
- Felony convictions (reviewed on a case by case basis.)
- More than 2 moving violations within the last 2 years
- The driver let go due to safety reasons.
Responsible for delivering all freight (through the use of a tractor-trailer) in a safe and prompt manner while complying with all Department of Transportation regulations and laws, as well as Swift's policies through the use of a tractor-trailer. Engage with our customers and clients in a courteous and professional manner. Drivers will experience extended periods of time away from their hometowns and must be able to adapt to the nature of their work.
- Transport freight from origin to destination (able to sit for up to 10 hours); load and/or unload cargo in a safe and prompt manner, individually or with the assistance of a dock worker or lumper, with or without the assistance of mechanical equipment (up to 200 lbs).
- Couple and uncouple (hook/unhook) trailers from the tractor and/or converter gear a trailer in a safe and proper manner without assistance (pull horizontal force of up to 100 lbs).
- Inspect equipment per Department of Transportation requirements and Swift policies for defects and safe operating condition before, during and after trips. Complete and submit a written report on the condition of the equipment at the end of each trip.
- Refuel truck (any type) and/or trailer with diesel fuel.
- Prepare tires for hazardous weather conditions as required by weather conditions (pull vertical force of up to 150 lbs-ratchet chains).
- Must be well-groomed and professional when interacting with our clients and customers. Maintain a clean and safe tractor environment; responsible for all equipment used, including materials and electronics within the tractor, the tractor itself, the trailer, and the shipped goods within the trailer.
- Communicate thoroughly and promptly with Driver Leader; report all accidents, incidents, and any circumstances that may jeopardize the safety of our driver, equipment, and goods being shipped; maintain all documents including but not limited to electronic logs,bills of lading, and other papers of information essential to our business. Ensure all documents are verified and properly completed.
Additional duties that must be performed dependent on the line of business are:
- Protect various types of loads secured on a flatbed trailer from mechanical damage.
- Secure various types of loads to the flatbed trailer using chains or tarps or both (static grip of up to 50 lbs).
- Abide by 'railroad' rules and regulations when operating within their facilities.
- Register with each railroad facility as directed; obtain and maintain a TSA "Transportation Worker Identification Card".
- (TWIC) as required by location.
- Verify the chassis inspection tag is current and has not expired.
- Responsible for securement of the container to the chassis by ensuring all four locking pins are properly engaged, the; safety latch is engaged and secured to prevent locking pins from releasing the container from the chassis.
- Adhere to Swift Transportation's personnel policy as outlined the Driver Handbook.
- Swift Values
- Accountability: Know your responsibilities. Live up to your commitments.
- Balance: Manage your time for both business and personal success.
- Change: Accept it. Embrace it. Initiate it. Do everything better, faster, and more value-added.
- Swift Values
- Charity: Do your best at improving the quality of life for our employees, our families and the communities where we live and work.
- Communication: Share information, ask questions, listen effectively, speak thoughtfully, and let ideas live.
- Development: Learn from each other. Teach, coach, and listen. Create an environment where everyone can be a "star".
- Ethics: Do the "right thing" and always encourage others to do the right, honest, and ethical things.
- Initiative: Seek opportunities. Use good judgment. Take an intelligent risk. Champion ideas.
- Respect: Treat others with the same personal and professional consideration we expect for ourselves.
- Safety: Choose to make safety a personal value. Think SAFE, Act SAFE, Be SAFE
- Teamwork: Value different viewpoints. Execute the agreed-upon plans. Together everyone achieves more!
- Trust: There's nothing faster than the speed of trust! Extend it, cherish it, build it!
- Winning Attitude: Have a "can-do" attitude. Be positive, upbeat, and focused. We are winners.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education Level Education Details Req Pref
- Work Experience
- Experience Details Req Pref
- Must be able to pass a pre-driving test prior to employment to ensure knowledge and ability to drive Swift equipment.
- Skills and Abilities
- Must possess a legal and valid Class A - Commercial Drivers License (CDL), must be able to read and write in the English language. Ability to: 1) stand for up to 8 hours (occasional), 2) stair climb 2 steps at 26 inches (daily) and 4 steps at 19 inches (daily), 3) front carry 75 lbs for up 56 feet (as required), 4) static grip of up to 25 lbs (for all divisions other than flatbed, 5) static grip of 50 lbs (flatbed only), 6) floor to waist lift up to 85 lbs (as required), 7) transport freight weighing up to 200 lbs with or without mechanical assistance (as required), 8) pull horizontal force of up to 100 lbs (releasing the 5th wheel) (daily), 9) pull vertical force of up to 100 lbs (ratchet chains) (as required), and 10) sit for up to 10 hours (daily). Able to perform certain arithmetic as related to hours of service, logging hours worked, distance mileage calculations, among others, must be able to perform all duties regardless of weather conditions. Must be able to communicate effectively and take responsibility for all equipment provided. The statements contained in this document are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to constitute a comprehensive list of functions and duties. Others besides those listed here may be essential. Management retains the discretion to add or to change the duties of the position at any time.
- We are seeking a Local Truck Driver to join our team! You will be responsible for safely operating a truck with a capacity of at least 26,000 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW).
- Safely operate a heavy or tractor-trailer truck
- Load and unload cargo
- Properly track and document activity log
- Report any issues or incidents to dispatch
- Inspect truck before and after trip
- Previous experience in truck driving or other related fields
- Commercial driver's license
- Ability to handle physical workload
- Strong work ethic