Good-Men Roofing & Construction is seeking a Project Estimator to join our San Diego construction team. This position requires accurate estimating of government contracts assigned and a strong liaison with owners, architects, engineers, and subcontractors.
Good-Men Roofing & Construction is a San Diego based commercial general contractor founded in 2005 focused on providing the highest quality construction (design build, as built, and tenant improvement), roofing (installation, repair, and removal), and operations and maintenance services to clients. In addition to providing the highest quality, we pride ourselves with being good stewards, serving as a strategic partner with our clients rather than just another contractor. We look to hire and train innovative, self-starters who are motivated to deliver quality results. Our goal is to complete quality projects ahead of schedule and within budget by utilizing the expertise of all members of our team to the fullest.
· Thorough knowledge and background in the government contracting construction industry
· Strong understanding of projects normally performed by the company
· Experience with RS Means or computerized estimating programs
· Ability to make accurate quantity surveys and cost estimated of material, labor, equipment, subcontractor’s scope of work
· Maintain a high degree of integrity, loyalty, and honesty (not divulge to outside parties’ information of a confidential nature pertaining to the company’s operations or bids
· Strong teamwork and communication skills
· Perform job duties in timely and efficient manner
The Estimator derives authority from the Construction Manager and is granted full authority to perform the duties set forth in this job description. To promote a harmonious relationship between the Project Manager and Job superintendent, who must work closely together, this authority must be coordinated with that of the Job Superintendent. Our goal is to complete our projects ahead of schedule and within budget by utilizing the expertise of all members of the team to the fullest.
The Project Manager/Estimator is directly responsible to the Construction Manager for the proper discharge of his/her duties. He/she may delegate portions of his/her authority to other qualified personnel, but not responsibility.
The main duty of the Project Estimator is to estimate and collaborate to help manage the daily details of the project, including purchases, subcontracting, changes and coordination of office and field activities during the construction period.
· Maintain an up-to-date file or library of material suppliers, current labor laws, equipment rental, and qualified subcontractors by category
· Study and understand the contract documents of each project before, as well as after estimating to determine areas, including provisions of the general or special conditions, that may be ambiguous or present problems or result in unforeseen costs. Such matters should be brought to the attention of the Construction Manager
· Investigate conditions at the jobsite prior to bid to understand and evaluated site accessibility, surface and underground conditions and any condition that would affect construction methods and costs
· Estimate each job accurately and review the estimate with CM/Owners in sufficient time to permit careful analysis, checking of calculations, and corrections as necessary
· Assist with the purchase of major materials and let subcontracts for work awarded at the most competitive price early enough to ensure timely delivery of materials and performance of subcontracts
· Prepare at various stages (pre-bid, post award, etc.) and update as necessary the job progress schedule in coordination with the Job Superintendent - Must have knowledge of CPM Scheduling, and Microsoft Project, being utilized on all projects in scheduling.
· Collaborate with PM on material deliveries and subcontract work in accordance with progress schedule and adjust as necessary due to changes.
· Resolve, or assist Job Superintendent in resolving, design and detail problems with owners, design agents, suppliers, and subcontractors.
· Attend preconstruction and job meetings.
· Prepare cost breakdown; review with Job Superintendent for concurrence, have it approved by the CM/Owners before release to accounting, and make any adjustments if necessary
· Maintain and supervise adequate estimate and plan files
· Supervise preparation of bid and job correspondence
· Assist and cooperate with Job Superintendents in maintaining good subcontractor relations and activities as well as other areas requiring coordination between field and office
· Estimate and submit timely change proposals to the design agent or owner. Prepare and execute change orders between the company and architect and subcontractors.
· Attend seminars on estimating, management and construction techniques as the CM/Owners request.
· Prepare special reports requested by the CM/Owners
· Have thorough knowledge of company procedures manual
Medical and Dental Insurance (Employer pays half of the cost)
The above outline of duties is not arranged in order of priority. These duties are not meant to restrict but rather to describe minimum activities. Those duties will from time to time be altered by the CM/Owners to suit the need of the company.
Good-Men Roofing & Construction, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other reason prohibited under Federal, State, or local laws. Good-Men Roofing & Construction, Inc. is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, and as such, we request priority protected veteran referrals. EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled.
Section 3 employees are encouraged to apply.
Good-Men Roofing & Construction, Inc
Why Work Here?Good-Men Roofing & Construction is a San Diego based commercial general contractor focused on providing the highest quality construction, roofing, and operations and maintenance services to clients. Our clients include NAVFAC, US Army Corps of Engineers, and various commercial entities. In addition to providing the highest quality, we pride ourselves with being good stewards, serving as a strategic partner with our clients rather than just another contractor. We look to hire and train innovative, self-starters who are motivated to deliver quality results. Our goal is to complete projects ahead of schedule and within budget by utilizing the expertise of all members of the team to the fullest.
This role is for you if you like to wear many hats and you thrive in collaborative environments!
San Diego, CA