POSITION: MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST, PS100633
LOCATION: San Rafael, CA – Must be able to drive to various Bay Area locations
SALARY RANGE: $83,636.80 - $101,080 annually, plus excellent benefits (40-hour workweek)
(Employee pays 7% of salary/wage toward CalPERS retirement plan)
Under the general direction of the Marketing and Communications Director, the Marketing and Communications Specialist develops and implements comprehensive marketing and public information, materials, publications, and community outreach programs; assists in maintaining the District’s websites, email databases, and social media accounts; oversees and assists in the production and distribution of transit materials; and manages bus and ferry signage programs. The Marketing and Communications Specialist provides clear, concise, accurate, and consistent information on a wide range of District activities and services to a wide range of stakeholders, including the general public, customers, and District staff.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
· Four-year college degree with major course work completed in communications, journalism, English, marketing, business, or a related field. Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis. Applicants must submit evidence of a degree or a written statement supporting qualifying experience in lieu of degree.
· Experience will include a minimum of two years of recent position-related experience in marketing, written communications, editing, and publishing field.
· A minimum of two years’ experience using personal computers and software programs with advanced skills in Microsoft Office applications such as Power Point, Word, and Excel. Experience using a website content management system is preferred.
· Prepare and edit written materials for a wide range of audiences on a variety of topics relative to District activities and services, including transit guides and schedule cards, maps, pamphlets, newsletters, brochures, customer notices, website postings, booklets, signs, email-based customer announcements, and informational posters
· Assist with selling of advertising space, as needed
· Research, organize, and interpret complex information from various District departments on a wide range of policy, planning, and operations related subjects. Translate this information into effective communications for various stakeholders in appropriate formats
· Implement innovative approaches while developing communication outreach programs to meet District goals and objectives
· Manage the District’s employer outreach program to increase commute ridership on the District’s transit system
· Assist in maintaining the District’s Internet and Intranet websites, including posting information and content, and maintaining the District’s employee and targeted customer email databases
· Assist in maintaining the District’s social media accounts, posting important service and event information on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Transit app
· Represent the department on a wide variety of District projects concerning marketing and customer service matters
· Represent the District and participate in working groups with local and regional partner agencies
· Develop and administer informal contracts with outside vendors, including printers and advertisers
· Respond to daily public information requests via the telephone, Internet, on social media, and in writing
· Plan, organize, and participate in various District-related programs, presentations, and events
· Identify target audiences for specific outreach efforts
· Coordinate closely with District staff across the entire organization
· Exhibit regular and reliable performance and attendance
· Learn and follow the District’s safe working practices, and safety and health rules
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Principles and practices of website content management preferred
• Principles and practices of current trends in social media technology
· Principles and practices of public and community relations
· Principles and practices of research
· Principles and practices of print and electronic media, including digital imaging and web applications
· Principles and practices of presentation preparation, delivery strategies, and techniques
· Theories and applications of graphic design, print processes, and layout techniques
· Computer programs described under “Education and Experience”
· Strong organizational and time management skills
· Complete assignments with a high degree of independence and initiative, demonstrating sound judgment
· Research, compile, and summarize a variety of complex and technical information and materials needed to develop clear and concise, newsletters, staff reports, targeted brochures, letters, and various other forms of written materials
· Communicate effectively, orally and in writing, to a wide range of stakeholders
· Compose and edit clear, complete, and accurate informational, technical, and educational materials for the public and other targeted stakeholders
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all personnel contacted in the course of work performed
· Develop, track, and prioritize schedule for development and implementation of multiple concurrent projects with exacting deadlines
· Learn quickly
· Track exacting and numerous details while keeping focused on the big picture
· Flexible to handle shifting deadlines and priorities
• Must possess and maintain a current, valid California driver’s license and satisfactory driving record
• Operates District vehicles on a regular basis
· Requires occasional work hours on evenings or weekends in various Bay Area locations
· Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds
· Mobility to work in a typical office setting
· Ability to communicate in person and over the telephone
· Ability to read printed materials and a computer screen
· Ability to travel to District facilities
· Routine use of computer, telephone and other office equipment
FAILURE TO MEET ANY OF THE REQUIREMENTS STATED BELOW
MAY RESULT IN REJECTION OF YOUR APPLICATION
TO APPLY: www.goldengate.org/jobs
Applicants must apply online by the deadline date. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
For directions and general information, visit our website www.goldengate.org.
The District’s primary and official means of application notification is via EMAIL. Thus, applicants are advised to check their email for their application status updates.
THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENT(S) MUST BE SUBMITTED AT TIME OF APPLICATION:
1. GGBHTD Online Employment Application
2. Cover Letter demonstrating applicable work experience
3. Resume demonstrating applicable work experience
4. Evidence of a 4-year college degree or a written statement detailing additional experience in lieu of the education requirement
5. Writing Samples – three (3) different types of public relations-related writing samples (original work)
THE SELECTION PROCESS FOR THIS POSITION will include:
· Oral Panel Interview (Candidates who best meet the qualifications listed on this Job Announcement will be invited to participate in an Oral Panel Interview.)
· Department Interview
· Microsoft Office Skills and Writing Skills Test
· Background/Employment/Security Investigation
***The District will invite ONLY those candidates whose qualifications MOST CLOSELY MATCH the position requirements to continue in the selection process.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of the Golden Gate Bridge Highway and Transportation District to take all personnel actions on the basis of merit and other job-related factors, without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), disability: physical or mental, age (40 and older), genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation and identity, medical condition, political affiliation or military status.
Applicants with Disabilities: The Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts to accommodate applicants with disabilities to complete the Employment Application and in any job-related examination process. If you have special needs, please call (415) 257-4535 (Human Resources).