Gloucester-Mathews Humane Society Gloucester, VA
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
GMHS’ mission is to improve life for all animals by providing temporary shelter, compassionate care, community support, and education. We are proud to be fierce advocates for animals in our care and maintain a 96% live release rate with over 1,700 animals cared for annually (Fiscal Year 2021).
We are currently hiring a Veterinary Assistant to join our medical team. This is a part-time (28 hours per week), hourly, non-exempt opportunity. We seek a candidate who is self-motivated, possesses a superb attention to detail, and is excited to work in a dynamic team environment.
The ideal candidate will have a huge heart for those in need--people and pets alike--be confident, skilled, decisive, and well organized; have a positive attitude; and, preferably, be a Licensed Veterinary Technician.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- General clean-up and animal care as needed and the ability to maintain a sanitary work space
- Maintenance of existing organizational systems, and regular input of information into animal data management system
- Dispensing medications and vaccination
- Completing blood draws, testing, and diagnostics
- Performing general exams and symptom observation
- Performing humane euthanasia when necessary
- Scheduling appointments
- Ordering supplies, maintaining inventory, and record keeping
- Veterinary Assistant work experience
- Attention to detail and the ability to work both independently as well as with a team
- Excellent communication skills and record management
- Ability to multitask, take and follow directions, adapt and accommodate changing demands, and make appropriate prioritization decisions
- Possess or be willing to obtain euthanasia certification
- Must be comfortable handling both dogs and cats including: general handling (leash-walking, lifting and carrying), animal restraint, and placing animals in cages/carriers
- Ability to perform occasional kneeling, stooping, reaching, pulling and lifting up to about 50 lbs.
- Work may include early mornings, evenings, weekends, holidays
- Work may include visits to or assistance at multiple locations, including, but not limited to, Gloucester County Animal Control, Fixin’ to Save Spay & Neuter Clinic, Petco, and partner shelters
- Fast-paced and changing work environment, which at times may be stressful or emotionally charged
- Exposure to dead, sick, injured, and/or dangerous animals
Reports to: Veterinary Care Coordinator
Classification: Part-time, non-exempt
Compensation: $14.00 per hour, with paid time off
Gloucester-Mathews Humane SocietyWhy Work Here?
Rewarding, meaningful work!
Non-profit animal shelter
6620 Jackson LaneGloucester, VA
AnimalView all jobs at Gloucester-Mathews Humane Society