The Sr. Fiber Design Engineer will serve as the primary interface between Solutions Engineering, Sales Engineering, Advanced Engineering, Construction and Production Design teams to develop new complex HFC and Fiber designs, specifications and engineering solutions in the most cost efficient manner while adhering to Centric Fiber’s standards and specifications and package them for transition to a production environment. The Architecture Design Engineer will be expected to work across functional and organizational boundaries to lead new design initiatives and will work closely with these teams, Engineering, Technical Operations, Construction and Equipment Vendors to develop design solutions and processes to support new equipment specifications utilizing applicable Design theory.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to: HFC & Fiber Network Planning, assist Advanced Engineering teams with the Vendor selection process, identify, develop and document Design Specifications and Process, develop and document QC Processes, facilitate Hub Collapses and other ISP initiatives within the Design Organization. Audit, document and maintain fiber transport capacity to include forecasting, planning and budgeting of future requirements. Provide solution design & costing to facilitate planning & sales and ensure overall Fiber Network documentation is maintained and accurate.
Designs and prepares work plans and detailed drawings for engineering, commercial, large developments, rearrangement, fiber-to-the-home (FTTH), fiber splice, data and wireless backhaul, and reinforcement projects. Utilizes working knowledge of fiber, coaxial, and copper communication systems network design, and uses computer aided design (CAD), geographical information system (GIS) mapping and database systems. Project packages and/or estimates including layouts and detail drawings. Assists in preparing and administering contracts and providing data for regulatory reports.
Essential Job Functions:
Prepares work orders and complete project packages to include engineering design for local and wide area networks, cost estimates and comparisons, staking sheets, material requirements, distributions, recommendations, locate requirements, subscriber data changes, and must be knowledgeable in switching, broadband, video, and FTTH system architectures and relevant data systems input and maintenance.
Manage all modifications to fiber from initial design to final documentation, including, but not limited to:
· Determining start and stop points for new fiber optic cable construction and approving routes.
· Providing, or assisting in, job costing.
· Determining the need for, and specifying any and all fiber specific equipment.
· Planning and executing fiber splicing in a way that minimizes customer impact.
· Proofing and accepting fiber and splicing.
· Providing final documentation to all necessary departments/personnel.
· Conduct evaluation, cost analysis, selection, engineering and network design of optical equipment, including optical cable, termination systems, enclosures, optical splitters, optical filters, optical multiplexers and related peripherals.
· Prepares drawings and layouts for engineering, commercial, and office projects.
· Drafts equipment wiring diagrams, schematics, and other equipment layout designs as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of fiber telecommunications systems design, including fiber-to-the-home (FTTH), hybrid-fiber coax (HFC), and broadband architectures including very high bit-rate digital subscriber line (VDSL) and voice over internet protocol (VoIP). Must be knowledgeable in construction practices and engineering practices and principles regarding each respectively outside plant network system.