Assistant General Manager
- Posted: over a month ago
Position: ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER
Reports to: General Manager
Division: Admin & General
Department: Executive Office
The Assistant General Manager position will support the General Manager with all aspects of hotel operations. The Assistant General Manager must also provide excellent customer service and anticipate the guest’s needs and exceed their expectations. Responsible for supervision, audit, and control of the front desk, housekeeping, administration and related functions. Also, responsible for the day-to-day operation of food and beverage, most of which is hands-on food and beverage preparation and service, as well as overall supervision of the food and beverage personnel and budget performance.
- Provide the highest quality of service to the guests at all times.
- Meet and greet guests as well as ensure all hotel staff provides an air of gracious hospitality to all guests.
- Have a thorough knowledge of the property and community.
- Have a thorough knowledge of the room types and the differences between them.
- Manage and coordinate the activities of the Front Desk Manager, Housekeeping Manager and Restaurant Manager, based on property staffing levels.
- Manage meeting room and group sales.
- Coordinate and communicate all sales, group meetings and sleeping room information with Front Desk and Restaurant.
- Monitor and ensure compliance with all Guidelines for Operations.
- Have a thorough working knowledge of the central reservation system.
- Ensure that all equipment is maintained in accordance with service standards and that outages are reported and resolved in a timely manner.
- Monitor communication between departments to ensure a positive flow of information in a timely manner.
- Wear proper attire at all times in accordance with the Company Dress Code.
- Monitor uniform standards compliance for all employees.
- Maintain downtime procedures to ensure that no revenues are lost during equipment outages.
- Assist in promoting sales of property services to current and future guests.
- Develop point of purchase promotional material for local programs as needed.
- Must be able to pass and maintain certification from TIPS and/or Responsible Vendor training if alcohol is served at your respective property.
- Other duties as assigned, of which the employee is capable of performing.
- Maximize unit room revenue through effective use of the sales menu options in the property management system.
- Develop a plan for meeting/exceeding budgeted sales goals and budgeted expense goals.
- Review on a daily/weekly basis all cost accounts for Housekeeping, Front Desk, Restaurant and Administration, based on the size of the property and amenities available at the property. (As is relates to Food & Beverage Operations)
- Work closely with the General Manager to ensure a proper balance and mix of rooms, and that rooms are sold to maximize rates. Monitor fluctuations and trends in volume of rooms sold to be used in short and long-term forecasting.
- Ensure that all credit policies are being followed and that the credit report is resolved daily.
- Have a thorough knowledge of Accounts Receivable ensuring that all outstanding invoices are settled.
- Process on a timely basis all Accounts Payable batches (Invoices, Petty Cash, and Checks).
- Track all cost accounts to determine if they are within budgeted guidelines. Review these accounts with the General Manager to ensure each department is controlling cost within the budget.
- Review PMS and GHG daily sales report to ensure accuracy and accounting procedures are being followed at all times.
- Review & input weekly payroll as required and properly store previous week time cards.
- Supervise and reconcile cash controls for each shift in attendance.
- Meet or exceed unit’s sales and profit objectives. Maintain food and liquor costs at or below budget percentages and controllable costs below budget.
- Input and reconcile invoices as directed by the General Manager. Ensure that employees comply with tip-reporting requirements.
- Responsible for input, coding, and filing of invoices and new vendor set up.
LEADERSHIP & MANAGEMENT OF STAFF:
- Setup, review, and manage the new hire process for all departments in the hotel. This should ensure that all newly hired employees are:
- Given a hotel orientation and overview of operations.
- Given all new hire paper work and that it has been reviewed for accuracy and forwarded to GHG.
- Show all pertinent videos relating to the hotel and their job specific area.
- Train in job safety, fire safety, blood borne pathogens, and MSDS.
- Familiar with the policies and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Review department specific training to ensure that the associates are given the best possible training available within their department. Review ongoing training practices of departments to ensure that all associates are kept up to date on current policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all departments conduct department meeting monthly.
- Conduct regular departmental meeting to review new procedures, emphasize safety practices, and solicit input from all employees. Keep detailed minutes and sign-in sheets on file.
- Must be thoroughly familiar with Employee Handbook and all policies and rules it contains.
- Must adhere to all work rules, procedures, and policies established by the company, including, but not limited to, those contained in the Employee Handbook, Safety Manual, and operating guides.
- Must properly document all company policy violations by any staff who you supervise as well as the documentation of any and all associate actions taken.
- Be knowledgeable of Company benefits, procedures, and administration. Ensure benefits are administered on a timely basis.
- Establish an effective communication and information system through logs, monthly meetings, coaching, and counseling.
- Review weekly staff schedules for front desk, restaurant, and housekeeping balancing guest service and budgeted hours.
- Promote teamwork and associate morale.
- Interpret job specification to all hotel staff.
- Analyze and resolve work problems or assist employees in solving work problems.
- Initiate or suggest plans to motivate employees to achieve work-related goals.
- Ensure adherence to the Guarantee of Fair Treatment Policy.
- Comply with all regulations and guidelines for Human Resource tasks.
- Assist in ensuring staff continues to learn importance of excellent service.
- Recommend or initiate personnel actions, such as promotions, transfers, discharges, and disciplinary measures.
- Coach and counsel associates to encourage positive behaviors and correct negative behaviors.
- Ensure labor staffing guidelines are followed.
SAFETY & SECURITY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Have a thorough knowledge of all emergency procedures.
- Practice safety standards at all times and be alert to hazardous conditions. Report or correct any hazardous conditions immediately.
- Implement company policies and provide a safe working environment by ensuring compliance with safety programs and job safety analysis.
- Promote and administer the unit’s total loss prevention effort.
FOOD & BEVERAGE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for guest satisfaction in terms of food and beverage, hospitality and service standards.
- Ensure entire menu is available daily and hours of operation are strictly adhered to.
- Develop food and beverage purchase and production requirements based on daily inventories and order lead times.
- Responsible for food and beverage inventory control system.
- Establish and implement menus for special functions.
- Bachelors Degree – Hospitality/Hotel Management preferred.
- Minimum 3-4 years work experience.
- Computer Knowledge/Skills: MS Office, Property Management Software, Central Reservation Systems.
- Experience in financial accounting, personnel supervision and problem resolution.
- Strong management skills, ability to appropriately assign or delegate work and authority to others in the accomplishment of goals.
- Highly focused, have excellent communication skills, be motivated.
- Professional in appearance and presentation.
- Repeated bending, stooping, and lifting weights up to 30 lbs.
- Available to work when needed, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
Global Hotel Group
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?