Founding Physical Education Teacher/
Girls Global Academy is a community of dedicated innovators who believe girls matter. Through our daily work, we are committed to actions that equip the next generation of leaders to navigate the world with confidence and compassion to succeed in any path they may choose. Our approach to education will allow girls to develop strong voices that inspire change.
Because you matter - this is who we are looking for:
- You are highly qualified and mission oriented
- You are passionate about all girls’ high school education
- You are flexible and adaptable to change and excited about working in a start-up school environment
- You are a self-starter, problem solver and have a growth mindset
- You are committed to assisting the school becoming Tier 1
If you meet these ideals - we want to speak with you about joining our team!
About Founding Physical Education Teacher/ Athletic Coordinator
Teachers at GGA are responsible for creating and sustaining an empowering, progressive environment where students have multiple opportunities to flourish academically, socially and personally. Teachers report to the Principal and provide instruction in content areas.
- Certification in Physical Education or relevant field
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) with a concentration in a content area
- Secondary classroom experience in an urban context (three years preferred)
- Solid and demonstrable teaching experience working with a variety of student academic levels
- Creative and enthusiastic approach to teaching and learning
- Exhibits the ability to collaboratively work within and across disciplines with a diverse instructional team
- Experience working with parents and community
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, classroom management, and adaptive teaching
- Growth minded, receiving and incorporating feedback from team leaders, executive leadership and peers
Teacher Duties and Responsibilities
Instructional Planning and Implementation
- Contributes to interdisciplinary curriculum planning and development
- Develops and implements assessments aligned to GGA curriculum standards
- Uses student data to drive instructional decisions
- Writes a cohesive lesson plan
Learning and Development
- Plans and teaches lessons using inquiry-based approaches to teaching and learning
- Uses a wide range of technologies and strategies to differentiate instruction based on readiness, learning difference, and interest.
- Keeps up-to-date records of attendance, curriculum, and assessment
- Fosters positive relationships with students
- Develops regular communication protocols with parents
- Delivers thoughtful guidance and support with advisory groups
- Engages professionally and enthusiastically with new school initiatives
- Lead extra-curricular activities during and/or after school
Create Classroom Experiences that Embody Our Pillars of Learning
- Learning by doing - include examples, what does this look like
About Our School
Girls Global Academy (GGA) is an all-girls public charter high school in Washington, DC. Our school’s program has three primary focuses:
- International Baccalaureate academics, combined with distinctive engineering and business pathways;
- A school culture that values all learners by working daily to fulfill the four promises of sisterhood, scholarship, service and safety;
- Service learning projects that extend rigorous academics to provide experiences outside the classroom.
Our Founding Members:
You will be an integral part of founding our school, and as a founding member you understand that starting and growing a school is hard work, so founding members are empowered to take ownership over the work and have a responsibility to each of our students. You are truly a part of resilient team that has an all-hands-on-deck mentality and faces challenges head on with clear communication. Our 2024 graduating class needs founding members that believe in our students, maintain strong community norms for interpersonal interactions, and in our four pillars of sisterhood, scholarship, service, safety.
Our Commitments to Staff:
- Personalized professional development tailored to your needs as an educator
- Support and coaching from an experienced leadership team
- A seat at the table where you are a decision maker in an equitable and inclusive environment
- Work-life rhythm where you are encouraged to make self care a priority
How to Apply
Please submit your application to our online jobs portal. All applicants will have to pass a background check. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, preference will be given to applications received by January 20th. Anticipated Start Date is July 20th, 2020. No phone calls, please.
Girls Global Academy provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.