The Project Engineer reports to the Project Manager or the Production Manager and is responsible for safely engineering a construction project from the bid process through project completion
- Leads the project team in project scheduling, quality control operations, operation planning, and execution of work to ensure a safe and successful project
- Depending upon the scope of the project, the Project Engineer may report to the Production Manager (Superintendent). Works with the GCC Project Team to develop, communicate, monitor, and update schedules and plans for a single or multiple GCC construction project(s)
- Depending upon the position work scope, may provide project engineering support to multiple GCC projects
- Provides the Project Team with scheduling data for items such as upcoming critical activities, 3-week look ahead, subcontract change orders, new work item estimates, and resolution of potential schedule challenges
- Prepares scheduling analysis reports and makes recommendations to the project team to ensure maximum productivity and project efficiency. The Project Engineer functions as a leader of the GP2S system
- Leads the project team to transform scheduled activities and operations into detailed daily production plans
- Works with the project team and GCC subject matter experts (SME's) to analyze construction operations/activities which result in the development of accurate, realistic, and reliable Gilchrist Operation Production Plans (GOPP's)
- Ensures plans reflect highest and best use of available resources (crews, equipment, and transportation)
- Works with the Project Manager, the Production Manager, and Field Managers to monitor and communicate plans which ensure successful execution in the field
- Makes plan adjustments as needed to successfully met and/or exceed project goals
- Identifies waste by leading the project teams to perform "standing in the circle" analysis of operations
- Has an above average understanding of computer software including Primavera Project Scheduling, MS Office Applications (Excel, Word, and Outlook), PowerPoint, Viewpoint, and Pvault
- Has an above average understanding of the GCC Performance Management, and supports the project team in applying this methodology on a daily basis
- May possess one or multiple Quality Control certifications
- Works toward continuous professional development through ongoing position matrix assessments and individual development planning. The Project Engineer will be both a student and a teacher; seeking knowledge with a culture of continual learning though all available sources, including industry and professional associations
- Continually coaches and mentors project team members, providing them with the knowledge and confidence to excel and advance in their careers. Safely works on assignments that are semi-routine in nature where the ability to recognize deviation from accepted practice is required
- Normally receives general instructions on routine work, detailed instructions on new assignments. GCC is a Louisiana-proud organization; candidates with ties to central Louisiana are a bonus.
Work Environment: Indoor/Outdoor
Prolonged driving on a regular basis. Lift up to 25 lbs. regularly, and up to 50 lbs. occasionally. Ability to work in extreme weather conditions (heat and cold).
Education Guidelines: BS in Construction Management or Civil Engineering is preferred. Relevant experience may be substituted in lieu of formal education.
Experience Guidelines: 4+ years experience in engineering heavy highway projects. P.E. Designation is preferred. LA DOTD Quality Control certifications are preferred.
Knowledge Guidelines: Good understanding of construction scheduling software, including Primavera. Working knowledge of Heavy Bid and Viewpoint software. Possesses basic knowledge of project planning, administration, reporting and forecasting. Has a basic understanding of the following computer software: Oracle Primavera for scheduling, Oracle Prime for planning, HCSS Heavy Bid, Viewpoint, and Pvault. Has basic knowledge of Microsoft Applications (i.e.: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Teams). Has the ability to make presentations to senior management and customers on project status and progress as needed.
Gilchrist Construction Company, LLC
Why Work Here?Gilchrist Construction Company is a central Louisiana-based infrastructure contractor, offering a complete civil solution. Our team capabilities include piling, bridge structures, asphalt production and paving, concrete production and paving, as well as all types of earthwork, drainage, and base that a project may require. In addition to roads and bridges, we also perform site preparation, heavy foundations, and industrial work. GCC self-performs the majority of our projects.
We take great pride in our focus on Safety, Quality, Innovation, and Efficiency. So much that it's our Vision Statement!