Senior Soil Scientist
- Expired: February 22, 2023. Applications are no longer accepted.
About the role:
The Senior Soil Scientist will serve as the technical expert and leader in agronomy and sustainable agricultural practices for Gevo. Your responsibilities will include designing and implementation of research and development programs, managing pilot projects, as well as collaborating with internal and external colleagues on, agriculture, soil sciences, remote sensing, GIS, LCA modelling, environmental regulations and policy.
The team at Gevo works with experts in software engineering, policy, agronomy, design, product, and data science to help farmers get paid for sustainable practices, for example creating credits for practice changes that draws carbon from the air into the soil and reduces emissions (often called Climate Smart Ag).
In order to quantify impact rigorously and cost effectively we collect data on farming practices, remote sensing, and other data sources that we combine with direct measurement data to model and analyze GHG and soil carbon outcomes and other sustainability attributes. We are using science, agriculture, data, technology, and software engineering to fight climate change and support grower success when making sustainability-driven decisions.
Who you are:
- Experience with conducting research on soil health, soil organic carbon, field experiments on soil management and agronomy, lab analysis and field measurements of soil physical and chemical properties.
- Develop partnership with internal & external stakeholders to address challenges related to MRV that are important for Gevo’s business.
- Experience in performing lifecycle analysis using the Argonne National Laboratory (ANL) GREET Model
- Delivery of of the experimental, technical, and theoretical components of the R&D program in MRV of various parameters relevant for GevoAg & Verity projects
- Develop new measurement techniques or enhance the existing ones, help deploy these techniques to support Gevo’s projects in the voluntary or compliance carbon markets.
- Understand all aspects of climate smart agriculture projects, methodologies, registries, and intersection with voluntary and compliance carbon markets. Contribute to the development of knowledgebase at Gevo, develop content, based on science, to support advocacy, informing stakeholder and outreach.
- Contribute to the development of knowledgebase at Gevo, develop content, based on science, to support advocacy, informing stakeholder and outreach around Climate Smart Ag and MRV.
- Collaborate with industry experts and Universities scientific credibility by publishing the results of your work in peer-reviewed journals, internal technical reports, conference presentations, and patent filings.
Requirements and Experience
- A PhD in Soil Science, Plant Science, Agronomy or in a related field preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in carbon removal methodologies and standards.
- Expertise in climate smart agriculture and strong understanding of methodologies and carbon registry standard requirements.
- Strong understanding of the key principles of the voluntary carbon standards such as Verra VCS/CCB and Gold Standard, and the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- Proven track record within carbon project validation and verification process.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience managing and leading projects with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
Who We Are
- We are People First
- We are Mission-Focused
- We are Agile
- We are Innovators
What Gevo Offers You
- Free health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance for employee and family
- 22 days of sick and vacation time plus 10 paid holidays
- 401k retirement plan
- Annual incentive plan
- Paid community service time
- Tuition reimbursement
- Be part of a smart, high performing, passionate team
- Work-from-home stipend, if remote
Salary (for Colorado only)
Our salary ranges are based on national averages. We have wide ranges so we can be flexible and determine compensation based on a number of factors including the candidate's skills, level of experience, and location (which can be anywhere in the US). For Colorado-based candidates, the salary range for this position starts at $180,000 per year. Compensation at all other locations will be based on the factors as stated above.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Gevo, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
ScienceView all jobs at Gevo, Inc.
Get fresh Senior SOIL Scientist jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.