Gesher Disability Resources
JOB TITLE: Student Support Specialist II (15-20 hours per week)
DIRECT REPORT: Director, Education and Programs
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS / RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES: Ideal candidate is or has been a special education teacher. Provide direct services for students with a variety of disabilities inside and outside the general education classroom in Jewish Day Schools, which may be an Orthodox setting.
• Create and/or monitor Individualized Service Plan (ISP) for each student
• Follow set measurable/attainable goals and collect data
• Design lesson plans based on students’ individual data results
• Work with students one-on-one or small group on a bi-weekly basis, in-person or online
• Implement lesson plans to address goals with guidance of supervisor as appropriate
• Assist with accommodating and administering state tests one-on-one with students
• Help teachers understand the importance of inclusion in the classroom and assist with appropriate modifications and accommodations as needed
• Collaborate with teachers and be flexible to co-teaching when requested
• Complete weekly updates for internal use and quarterly progress reports for each student
• Observe in classrooms when requested and provide accommodation recommendations
• Tutoring before/after school as needed in-person or online
• Other duties pertaining to the agency as requested and/or assigned
SPECIALIZED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
• Study, teaching and/or experience in Jewish religion, traditions, rituals, holidays and Hebrew
• Strong knowledge of all academic subjects for grades K-8
• Excellent organizational skills
• Task-oriented, flexible and ability to work collaboratively with general education teachers
• Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
• Experience with online platforms like ZOOM, GoTo Meetings, Google Duo, Microsoft Teams
• Intermediate skills with Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoin
• Familiar with online computer-based curriculums and interpreting data
• Knowledge of Orton-Gillingham teaching methodology is a plus
WORKING CONDITIONS / LOCATION: Phoenix, Arizona main locations; throughout Valley as needed
SCHEDULE: School year of September – May; Monday thru Friday between the hours of 8am to 4pm, exact schedule varies based upon student schedules with other subjects; and as needed and as required by the position. If tutoring, dates and times may extend.
REQUIRED SKILLS / ABILITIES / CHARACTERISTICS: Ability to recognize, prioritize and address behavioral or educational areas of concern. Ability to foster relationships with schools and parents, when applicable.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / DEMANDS: Standing, walking, repetitive motions, bending, stretching. Note, the main work locations are older buildings and not required to be ADA compliant.
EDUCATION / SPECIALIZED TRAINING: Bachelor’s Degree in Special Education with current Arizona State Certification. Master’s degree earned or working towards one preferred.
EXPERIENCE: 2+ years teaching individuals with disabilities and/or working with their families
Gesher Disability Resources, Inc.
Why Work Here?
Gesher Disability Resources has been serving the disability community, including students with learning challenges, since 1985.