Executive Dean of Portland Seminary
- Posted: 21 hours ago
Portland Seminary is committed to theological education centered on Jesus as the Way and guided by the Holy Spirit. As a Wayfinding seminary we are known for academic excellence and spiritual formation, and for program flexibility and affordability.
Portland Seminary Values - Christ in everything. Students first. Innovation to improve outcomes.
The Executive Dean of Portland Seminary is an exceptional opportunity for an experienced leader committed to a theological education that prepares and forms persons for God's work in the world. Portland Seminary was founded in 1947 by 5 Wesleyan Holiness denominations. Today we are a national seminary preparing students from over 35 denominations. In 1996 we became a part of George Fox University.
The Executive Dean is primarily responsible for the Seminary's mission and vision, as well as spiritual and relational well-being. As the unit's chief administrative and academic officer, the Executive Dean is responsible for its academic program offerings, quality, viability, and assessment; planning and budgeting; faculty hiring, promotions, and development; and external relations including donor relationships, the seminary Board of Regents, and church and missional organizations.
The Executive Dean reports to the University President and oversees the faculty and staff for the Seminary masters and doctoral programs. The Executive Dean is a member of the university Academic Leadership Team, the Executive Leadership Team, and other committees as assigned.
Qualified candidates must have an earned doctorate with a degree in a discipline represented within the seminary or otherwise appropriate for the position. Candidates must have demonstrated scholarship either in the academy and/or in a national professional arena. Candidates must have demonstrated effective experience as an executive leader in the church or in a non-profit.
The Executive Dean at George Fox University must be a leader of character, competency, calling, and collaboration
- Character - traits and values that are consistent with a Christ-centered relational approach to leadership
- Competency - demonstrated executive leadership skills and requisite educational/professional attainment and experience
- Calling - committed to Christ and the Church, Christian higher education, and the mission and goals of the University and the Seminary
- Collaboration - commitment to team processes which emphasize discernment, diplomacy and other-oriented focus
Other qualifications include:
- Ability to articulate the mission of Portland Seminary, and understand and support the mission of the University
- Proven executive leadership and administrative abilities and skills
- Experience in intellectually and spiritually-forming persons, particularly within a congregational or missional setting
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Participatory management and leadership style that encourages and values input from others
- Ability to lead teams to achieve exceptional outcomes, to be an effective team member, and to lead strategic planning efforts
- Experience in budget and personnel management
- Demonstrated pattern in creating and assessing goals and strategic initiatives
- Ability to serve as a Christian role model (by actions, words, and lifestyle) through casual contact or in a formal role, and an evangelical Christian commitment and lifestyle consistent with the institution's mission and values
- Demonstrating awareness, respect, and appreciation for diversity of culture, background, race, sex, political views, expressions of faith, etc. and works well with a variety of people
- Other duties as assigned
Job Responsibilities - Seminary
- Developing a seminary team culture of trust, engagement, and well-being
- Evaluating the effectiveness of the seminary to deliver on our mission, programs and student and institutional outcomes
- Creating a culture of innovation for the improvement of academic programs and institutional effectiveness in order to fulfill our mission
- Working with seminary faculty, staff, students, university constituents, and ecclesial leaders to promote excellence in teaching, scholarship and service to the church and parachurch
- Creating and maintaining a coherent marketing and communication strategy for the promotion and success of the seminary
- Reviewing institutional effectiveness and tracking and incorporating results
- Overseeing all curricular revision proposals for the masters and doctoral programs and keeping aligned with the ATS accrediting body
- Managing the seminary budgets, fiscal planning, forecasting, and external fundraising in coordination with University guidelines
- Recruiting and retaining quality faculty, staff, and students
- Developing and maintaining productive relationships with on- and off-campus constituencies, particularly constituencies in line with, but not limited to, our institutional heritage in Wesleyan Holiness, Evangelical Friends, and other key denominational partners
- Partnering with the Seminary Board of Regents to assure that the vision and strategic direction of the seminary aligns with the seminary's mission and aspiration to be a seminary of choice nationally
- Partnering with Advancement for regular connections with donors, recruiting donors, and supporting seminary donor campaigns
Job Responsibilities - University
- Ensuring the effective operation of the Seminary in support of the mission and goals of the University
- Providing strategic direction and assessment metrics in concert with University strategic initiatives
- Coordinating management policies and innovations across Enterprises with other Exec Deans
- Collaborating with University Offices pertaining to student and academic success (e.g. GFD, Admissions/Registrar, Diversity, Advancement, Grants, Alumni, MarCom, etc.
George Fox University has been transforming student's lives for over 125 years. We are a Christ-centered community that prepares students spiritually, academically, and professionally to think with clarity, act with integrity, and serve with passion. Our vision is to be the Christian university of choice known for empowering students to achieve exceptional life outcomes. We put students first, with Christ at the center of our work, embracing change in order to improve. We are looking for enthusiastic candidates to join us in creating transformational experiences for our students.
Being a part of our community means a commitment to faith and to a lifestyle that is consistent with the university's mission as described in the Statement of Faith and Community Lifestyle Statement on our website.
As a Christ-centered community, George Fox University is an institution that values diversity as an essential dimension of God's design for human communities. In seeking to become a more inclusive community, we especially encourage applications from women and candidates from racial and ethnic backgrounds that are underrepresented in our community.
What is most appealing about working at George Fox University?
- Faith-friendly: Our culture is unique for higher education. At George Fox you can pursue academic excellence while integrating scriptures, praying with staff members and students at work, and helping to make an impact on the world in a way that promotes Christian values.
- Unapologetically Christian: As a university, we have an enduring commitment to Christ, his kingdom and the truth of God's Word.
- Live out your calling: You are able to use your God-given talents and abilities while having a profound influence on students as they deepen their relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Equip students for kingdom work: You can be a part of helping students discover their callings, at which they will be able to glorify the kingdom of God just as they have seen you do.
For your personal well-being we offer:
- A strong Christian vision and mission-led organization with opportunities for your growth and contributions.
- Wonderful Christian peers and a vibrant student population.
- A beautiful and peaceful campus environment with areas to walk and coffee shops and restaurants close by.
- Free Fitness Center membership.
- Free parking.
- Rich employee benefit package.
Application Procedures - kindly apply only through this website
When completing the online application, please upload the following as Word or .pdf documents in the section marked Letter of Interest and Curriculum Vitae or Resume:
- Letter of Interest
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume
Other supporting materials may be requested at a later stage of the review process.
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply immediately as review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
We invite you to Be Known at Oregon's largest private and nationally recognized Christian University!
**This position is subject to close at any time, regardless of the date on the posting.
**Have questions or need assistance with our application process? Contact Georgefoxcareers@georgefox.edu
George Fox University - Staff and Administrator
BusinessView all jobs at George Fox University - Staff and Administrator
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?