You will join a highly creative, collaborative team dedicated to innovative problem solving and design excellence. We are a small, entrepreneurial group of boutique-minded professionals with a passion towards interior design, guest experience, F&B strategy, and work-life integration. We embrace experimentation. We curate experience. We're designers and strategists who craft unique environments that keep people coming back for more. As artists, inventors, taste makers and business savvy entrepreneurs, we have an endless curiosity and mindful approach to design. Our clients and inter-office studios seek our expertise for collaborative efforts that require smart, lifestyle-driven solutions.
Gensler's San Diego Office is seeking an architect or Job Captain to join our team of design thinkers and doers who specialize in helping to tell stories and create experiences in the context of science and technical spaces.
Do you understand Science "from the inside" and believe that the planning and design of lab and other technical spaces can make a difference? If you enjoy working with people, solving problems, and creating effective and well-designed environments, then you might want to join the Science practice of Gensler.
What You Will Do
- As an Architect/Lab Planner, you will be providing design and documentation of laboratory facilities for a range of projects. This includes working with universities and private industry.
- Highly motivated, independent worker with complex problem-solving skills
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated, enthusiastic and flexible. Ability to manage multiple priorities in a demanding environment
- Well-rounded, strategic-thinker with an integrated approach to design, management and technical project resolution who can help shape a vision for the future
- High Level of enthusiasm and ability to positively influencing people, situations and results.
- Ability to face new challenges, create solutions and work outside your comfort zone.
- We seek someone who will be energized to create something new every day and who will be eager to collaborate in a team environment.
- You have a reputation as a collaborator, building strong relationships with clients, project stakeholders and project teams and navigating complexity with great effect.
- Provides leadership in order to carry out the goals and objectives of the project and communicates with team members in a timely manner.
- Anticipates and develops solutions to technical and design problems following established standards.
- Ability to convey laboratory planning needs to designers and end users.
- Applicants must have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate and work effectively with client's and their senior management representatives, scientists, laboratory managers and technicians, facilities and project managers, and other project stakeholders in determining and documenting programmatic requirements, and in planning lab environments.
- Capable of traveling to and from project sites for attending client, project and construction meetings.
- Experience to include working directly with clients: their senior management representatives, scientists, laboratory managers and technicians, facilities and project managers, and other project stakeholders in determining and documenting programmatic requirements
- 5+ years relevant experience
- Assists the client in determining goals and objectives of the health care facility through a clear programming process.
- Prepares alternate design solutions for consideration based on client's long-range plan during the master planning and design phases.
- Familiarity with laboratory equipment and utility requirements.
- Possess the ability to facilitate large group meetings with lab users.
- Develops and maintains excellent relationships with existing and potential clients.
- Participates in user group meetings (heads of departments, specialists, etc.) to collect program needs for laboratory specifications in technical facilities.
- Assists in the design development, modification and/or review of laboratory planning concepts and solutions.
- Knowledge of laboratory planning, design, construction documents, construction administration and project construction cost control for lab facilities preferred.
- Develop alternative design proposals based on user requirements.
- Meet with user groups to determine technical requirements of proposed laboratory spaces.
Life at Gensler
At Gensler, we are as committed to enjoying life as we are to delivering best-in-class design. From curated art exhibits to internal design competitions and hackathons, to "Well-being Week," our offices reflect our teams' diverse interests.
We encourage our employees to lead a healthy and balanced life. Our comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, vision, disability, wellness programs, flex spending, paid holidays and paid time off. We also offer a 401k, profit sharing, employee stock ownership and twice annual bonus opportunities.
As part of the firm's commitment to licensure and professional development, Gensler offers reimbursement for certain professional licenses and associated renewals and exam fees. In addition, we reimburse tuition for certain eligible programs or classes. We view our professional development programs as strategic investments in our future.
Gensler is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.