Mechanical Engineer IV - Packaging Exp
Genesis Technical Staffing, Inc. Champaign, IL
- Posted: over a month ago
- $62 Hourly
- Benefits: 401k, dental, life insurance, medical, vision
Job Title: Mechanical Engineer IV
Duration: 6 months +
*Contract to direct opportunity
Pay Rate: $62/hr
• We are seeking a Mechanical Engineer with a Packaging background
• Contract to hire opportunity
• This is a new position due to increased workload
• Ideally seeking someone with a food & beverage/consumer goods background
- Candidates must be local
Mechanical Engineer IV will review and improve existing packaging equipment designs; develop, design, and test standards and guidelines for developing packaging equipment solutions; and, integration of packaging equipment for specific projects. The Mechanical Engineer will work with internal and external resources and packaging suppliers to achieve functional packaging equipment goals.
The Mechanical Engineer will specify and design packaging equipment layouts/systems that are an integral part of a client’s production systems. In addition, the Mechanical Engineer will review existing packaging equipment capabilities with OEM’s and specify equipment upgrades/change parts to meet new packaging requirements, including the integration of existing and new packaging equipment. The Mechanical Engineer will work with internal engineering disciplines, client project and packages resources and packaging equipment OEM’s to achieve the functional packaging goals.
- Oversee and manage complete packaging line designs, including understanding throughput rates, equipment capabilities, line layout requirements, integration of a variety of packaging equipment, and performance of the individual components.
- Troubleshoot new and existing packaging problems involving designs and processes and provide creative, timely, and cost-effective solutions.
- Strong mechanical knowledge of packaging materials systems.
- Intermediate understanding of packaging control systems, including photoeyes, diverts, stops.
- Ability to troubleshoot problems with various pneumatic, electrical and mechanical systems.
- Ability to perform root cause analysis and effectively initiate immediate corrective action.
- Working knowledge and ability to utilize personal computers and software.
- Ability to understand specification sheets, PLC’s, control logic and schematics.
- Analyze engineering drawings and specifications of equipment to determine special handling, environmental and safety requirements, and types of materials required.
- Establish standards and guidelines for supplier evaluation; evaluate and select packaging equipment suppliers/vendors; periodically conduct vendor reviews; perform Factory Acceptance Testing.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Work closely with global suppliers, engineering, product management, operations, and sourcing.
- Identify and implement cost saving initiatives related to packaging materials, labor, efficiency, transportation, and storage.
- Specify and recommend efficiency tools and test methods to develop and validate packaging lines.
- Develop and implement comprehensive test plans to ensure that production exceeds customer specifications.
- Must have knowledge of packaging materials and an understanding of how different equipment functions with the different materials (glass versus plastic, glue versus pressure-sensitive labels, etc.).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Packaging Engineering or demonstrated experience is required.
- 10-15 years of engineering experience in industrial or consumer packaging.
- Self-starter with initiative and ability to complete engineering deliverables and tasks with minimal supervision.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to prepare design calculations, technical documents, and drawings.
- Strong mechanical aptitude, are technically savvy, have a positive “can do” attitude, don’t mind travel, and are very customer focused.
- Attention to detail, an ability and willingness to learn quickly and a talent in managing internal relationships as well as customer relationships.
- Strong communication skills required to provide effective inter-discipline, client, and vendor coordination on projects.
- Availability for field assignments involving travel to sites involving work in industrial/packaging facilities.
- Highly motivated with ability to work in an interactive and open team environment.
- Must be able to demonstrate project management skills and experience.
Demonstrable proficiency in CAD software, including 3D capabilities.
Understanding of process improvement, quality improvement concepts is needed; ISO 9001 certification (e.g., CQA, CQE, CQIA).
Project Management Certification
Genesis Technical Staffing, Inc.Why Work Here?
We strive to be a blessing in everything we do!
Genesis Technical Staffing, Inc., provides proven staffing solutions for the professional work environment. We offer more than 30 years’ experience in matching the most qualified engineering, design, and technical talent with the most innovative industrial, engineering, and technical companies. Our unique approach is based on integrity, honesty, and the sincere desire to foster mutually beneficial relationships. At Genesis, your success is our success.