What We Offer:
- Competitive Compensation - Based on Experience
- Generous Benefits Package
- Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, Life Insurance
- Smaller Company with Supportive Company Culture
- Projects Include:
- Military, Medical, Industrial, etc - Among many diverse industries
- Fast-paced environment
- Room for growth!
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering with 5 to 10 years of experience developing software (design, code, test, integrate, verify, maintain)
- Expertise in the following languages: C/C++, Python, Perl, LINUX shell scripts
- Expertise in the use and understanding of LINUX operating systems
- Proficiency with Source Code Management Systems, specifically SVN on Windows and Linux
- 3+ years experience in software development for embedded systems
- 2+ years experience in network operating systems (NOS) software development
- Hands-on experience with Open Switch (OPX)
- Hands-on experience with Edge and Leaf Ethernet Switch systems with working knowledge of configuration and operation
- Hands-on experience with Open Network Install Environment (ONIE)
- Hands-on experience with GRUB/Uboot/Redboot
- Working knowledge of networking fundamentals and protocols (ex: TCP/IP, OSPF, BGP, MPLS)
- Familiarity with Dell S4100 Series Ethernet Switches
- Familiarity with modern Ethernet interface standards – XFI, XLAUI, 10GBase-KR, 10GBase-KR4, etc.
- Experience with Ethernet Switch bring-up and troubleshooting: Control Plane, Switch ASIC, PHYs etc.
- Exposure to Dell OS10 and Cumulus Linux
- Exposure to Broadcom Ethernet Switch SDK software interfaces and API
- Capable of understanding and utilizing and system block diagrams and hardware schematics
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Porting of Network Operating Systems (NOS) to new hardware platforms as part of new product development
- Participation in a development team involved in the development of hardware and software for Ethernet Switch products for the Embedded Computing market
- Design, development, integration, and delivery of software in a rapid and independent fashion
- Coordination with other software developers during all phases of product development. Other elements of the development include the boot loader for the Control Plane processor
- Coordination with hardware developers during all phases of product development, including requirements, hardware/software interfaces, integration, test, and verification
- Perform software releases, documentation, and coordinate software configuration management
- Participate in development and documentation of test plans and procedures
- Manage the software portion of the product development: Planning, status, and schedule. Reporting to product manager and software manager
- Other duties as assigned
The Network Software Engineer is a critical element of the GMS Software Solutions Group’s Ethernet Switch development team. This position is State of the art Ethernet Switch system and sub-system development in a fast paced, time-to-market driven environment. This position involves design, development, documentation, and testing of customized networking operating system software.
Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- An Individual with a natural motivation to work hard and stay busy; to be task oriented and not look for ways to perform at less than their fullest potential. This includes placing importance on being punctual and maintaining satisfactory attendance.
- An Individual that faces difficult situations to find solutions rather than dwelling on problems, and strives to be a positive contributor to their team and the organization.
- An Individual having good character, not gossiping, not being overly dramatic and being a trustworthy coworker. An individual who understands that even the best plans will not always go perfectly and is capable of adapting to change to work through such situations and continue to treat others with respect.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Development of software that meets or exceeds product software requirements
- Development of software requirements specifications, test procedures and other documentation
- Debugging skills and hands-on experience using various software, hardware, memory debugging tools
- The judgement necessary to best achieve technical objectives of assignment
- Self-motivation, and the ability to work efficiently and independently
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Must be detail oriented and balance multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Must possess the ability to successfully plan, prioritize and organize work activities and adhere to strict deadlines follow instructions, procedures, and policies; identify and solve problems
- Must be conscientious about assignments and complete work in a timely, accurate and thorough manner
- Require minimal supervision to successfully complete tasks and assignments
- Must demonstrate initiative and ownership of assignments/projects
- Must report to work at scheduled time and maintain satisfactory attendance with limited unscheduled absences
- Must exhibit a professional appearance and behavior and maintain satisfactory performance consistent with expectations of the position and GMS policies
- Requires excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing with executives, colleagues and individuals, internal or external
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills, able to effectively interact with all levels of employees and management
- Must remain poised, professional and diplomatic under pressure
- Strong computer skills with a working knowledge of programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point
- Must possess the ability and desire to encourage and facilitate a positive and productive work environment for all employees
- Must be able to work the standard 8AM-5PM, Monday – Friday schedule and additional hours as necessary
- Limited travel required
Ability to effectively write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, vendors, customers and employees in writing and verbally.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts and to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to: sit, talk, hear, stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, reach above shoulder level, and lift up to 30 lbs. with hands and arms, use hands to finger, handle, feel or type and utilize a telephone, copier, printer, computer, calculator, mouse, keyboard and monitor to perform daily duties. The employee regularly engages in personal interaction with company personnel. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus and utilize a computer monitor under florescent lighting and/or daylight where applicable.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee will occasionally be required to conduct work in the engineering lab
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
- While performing duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk up and down one flight of stairs and approximately 1 block from building to building
Must be a US Citizen, Permanent US Resident, or currently authorized to work in the U.S. on a full-time basis without current or future employment sponsorship. (In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire)
General Micro Systems, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: GMS is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at GMS are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. GMS will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. GMS encourages applicants of all ages.