Mental Health Coordinator I Peer Specialist
The Department of Mental Health (DMH) is seeking a dynamic human services candidate who will provide Peer Specialist services to the Hathorne Inpatient Units of Tewksbury Hospital for adults who have a psychiatric diagnosis in a manner that focuses on peer support and accompaniment in the process of developing of life goals.
The selected candidate uses personal experiences of recovery in a professional capacity to promote hope for a life outside of the framework of mental health services and to support learning about the process of recovery. The Peer Specialist fosters a person-centered approach when providing services and supports the development and implementation of a person-centered treatment plan. In this role, the selected candidate will champion and support recovery and resiliency guided by established and emerging principles in the field, such as those found in Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administrations (SAMHSA) ten (10) fundamental components of recovery and the Massachusetts Certified Peer Specialist Code of Ethics.
Please Note: This position is 40 hours per week. The incumbent will work Sunday - Thursday 8:00AM-4:30PM. Days off are Friday and Saturday.
Per the minimum entrance requirements below, applicants must have certification as a Peer Specialist by a recognized Certified Specialist Program.
Duties and Responsibilities (These duties and responsibilities are not all inclusive):
- Provides advocacy, support, education, information and training in recovery tools and techniques to persons served by Department of Mental Health.
- Develops and facilitates recovery and rehabilitation groups including, but not limited to, peer support, peer education, advocacy, Wellness Recovery Action Program (WRAP), social and independent living skills and vocational training.
- Collaborates with individuals to develop goals taking into account needs, strengths, and interests and barriers.
- Supports the development of self-advocacy skills and other strategies that promote recovery to persons served to support their recovery process through teaching and modeling these skills.
- Provides services and opportunities that promote continuity of care, community integration and an environment that facilitates recovery.
- Promotes teamwork by demonstrating flexibility, the ability to listen to the views of others, to compromise, to handle conflict and stay focused on a positive outcome.
- Champions the maintaining of a safe environment for patients and staff at all times.
- Complies with all applicable state and federal laws including the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act (HIPAA) regulations which governs the privacy and confidentiality of information about patients.
- Conducts self in a professional manner at all times and works cooperatively with staff from all disciplines.
- Knowledge of the principles and practice of rehabilitation as it relates to people with a psychiatric diagnosis and people with dual diagnoses.
- Demonstrated skills with populations who have a psychiatric diagnosis.
- Ability to design and evaluate assigned program curriculum.
- Talent for supporting people in exploring and establishing life goals.
- Skilled in interacting with people of any age or with any diagnosis as well as staff in a professional and effective manner.
- Proven ability to lead exercises in group leadership and provide training.
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures followed in general for rehab activities.
- Demonstrated understanding of recovery concepts and practices that facilitate the recovery of persons with a psychiatric diagnosis.
- Experience with peer support groups, workshops, or trainings.
- Given the population we serve, bilingual or multilingual fluency
About Tewksbury Hospital:
Tewksbury Hospital operates a 370-bed facility and a campus of over 700 acres of land. Its patient care services are provided under the auspices of the Department of Public Health and Mental Health. Joint Commission accredited LTAC hospital that provides high quality, comprehensive treatment, care, and comfort to adults with chronic medical and mental illness. A full range of services are provided including 24/7 Nursing, Nurse Practitioners, Medicine as well as psychiatric and psychological services, a 6- bed dialysis unit, clinical laboratory, radiology, respiratory care, nutrition, speech/language, pathology, occupational therapy, physical therapy, therapeutic recreation and arts, and pharmacy.
Learn more: https://www.mass.gov/locations/tewksbury-hospital
DMH Mission Statement:
The Department of Mental Health assures and provides access to services and supports to meet the mental health needs of individuals of all ages, enabling them to live, work and participate in their communities. The Department establishes standards to ensure effective and culturally competent care to promote recovery. The Department sets policy, promotes self-determination, protects human rights and supports mental health training and research.
A criminal background check will be completed on the recommended candidate as required by the regulations set forth by the Executive Office of Health and Human Services prior to the candidate being hired. For more information, please visit http://www.mass.gov/hhs/cori and click on "Information for Job Applicants."
Education, licensure and certifications will be verified in accordance with the Human Resources Division's Hiring Guidelines.
Education and license/certification information provided by the selected candidate(s) is subject to the Massachusetts Public Records Law and may be published on the Commonwealth's website.
If you require assistance with the application/interview process and would like to request an ADA accommodation, please click on the link and complete the Reasonable Accommodation Online Request Form
For questions regarding this position please contact Carol Duggan at email@example.com or call 978-851-7321 x2395
This requisition will remain open until filled; however, first consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days. Applicants must have a high school diploma or equivalent and Peer certification through a recognized Certified Specialist Program. Based on assignment to a Family Support Specialist position applicants must have a high school diploma or equivalent and completion of an approved Professional Parent Advisory League (PAL) entry-level training as a Family Support Specialist. Incumbents may be required to have a current and valid motor vehicle driver's license at a class level specific to assignment.
When you embark on a career with the Commonwealth, you are offered an outstanding suite of employee benefits that add to the overall value of your compensation package. We take pride in providing a work experience that supports you, your loved ones, and your future.
Want the specifics? Explore our Employee Benefits and Rewards!
COVID Vaccine: As a condition of employment, depending on job assignment and location, employees may be required to have received COVID-19 vaccination and/or other vaccinations, or to have been approved for a vaccination exemption prior to their start date. Details relating to demonstrating compliance with this requirement will be provided to applicants selected for employment.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Commonwealth is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. Research suggests that qualified women, Black, Indigenous, and Persons of Color (BIPOC) may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage individuals who believe they have the skills necessary to thrive to apply for this role.
General Court of the Commonwealth of MassachusettsTewksbury, MA
Explore similar jobsMore Jobs Like This
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.