Senior Data Scientist - Statistical Genetics
- Posted: over a month ago
Gencove is taking low-pass sequencing to population scale and is hiring a Senior Data Scientist to be a key member of this effort.
At Gencove, we develop software and statistical methodologies for the processing of genomic data at scale. We primarily use Python/R for research, and deploy to production with Python/C++ on the AWS ecosystem.
The role entails developing statistical models for low-pass sequencing, data analysis of genetic data from a wide variety of different species (including humans, livestock, plants, companion animals, and more), and owning the deployment of resulting features to production. Specific knowledge of low pass sequencing and its applications is less critical, however, than strong research skills and a demonstrated history of accomplishment. The ideal candidate will have a strong quantitative background and experience working with genomic data at scale.
The day to day activities in this role involve
- methods development (computational, statistical) to extract biological insight from sequence data
- owning and executing R&D projects end-to-end with both internal and external collaborators
- development and implementation of computational pipelines into production software systems
Successful candidates must be able to work effectively both in a collaborative setting and independently, and possess outstanding communication skills.
The candidate will have the opportunity to work in a dynamic environment of an early stage startup company.
- Masters degree or higher in a quantitative field (computer science, statistics, physics, computational biology, etc.), PhD preferred; OR, equivalent experience
- Demonstrated strong programming skills in Python, C++, or similar
- A strong grasp of basic concepts in statistics and genetics
- Experience working with genomic data at scale
- Proficiency working in a *nix environment
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with strong communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive.
- A commitment to scientific rigor and eagerness to learn
- 3-5 years of experience in genomics
- experience working in a cloud environment
- familiar with version control, software engineering best-practices
- competitive compensation package including equity in a fast-growing startup
- generous PTO in addition to company-observed holidays
- medical insurance
- dental insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- 20% of working hours can be spent on independent research, continued learning, and further professional development
AddressNew York, NY
TechnologyView all jobs at Gencove, Inc.