Lab Assistant, Weights & Measures (Day Shift) - We offer a competitive benefits package!
We are an established company located in the heart of the diamond district in mid-town Manhattan that offers its employees a competitive benefits package and great educational opportunities.
The Company: GIA is the world’s foremost authority in gemology. An independent, nonprofit organization, GIA protects the public trust in gems and jewelry by providing the education, research, and standards that consumers and the jewelry industry rely on to make informed purchase decisions.
The Location: New York, New York
The Job Title: Lab Assistant, Weights & Measures
- Work Hours: 7:30 am – 3:30 pm Monday through Friday
- Hourly Rate: $17.50 per hour
- We offer medical, dental and vision coverage and 401-K with company match
- Paid vacation, sick and holidays, tuition assistance, commuter benefits, and casual dress code
Perform assigned pre/post grading production processes required to complete the production workflow.
Perform any of the following or other duties as assigned to meet quality and production goals:
- Measure stone weight and other required data; prepare each stone for subsequent processes in accordance with procedures and requirements using relevant data
- Perform inweigh and operate cleaning station
- Perform screening, label printing, and/or measure ultraviolet fluorescence, and/or color measurement, and/or stone measurement.
- Prepare casetting of stones
- Learn and follow defined procedures/guidelines to perform job; complete tasks through application of detailed procedural knowledge
- Use judgement to select appropriate action from defined procedures/guidelines; seek help from experienced staff and/or management for troubleshooting non-routine issues
- Understand that GIA reputation is impacted if procedures aren't followed and mistakes are made
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Basic knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Ability to learn and understand GIA proprietary systems (Spectrum, Searchlight, etc.)
- Ability to learn and understand key GIA people and their roles in production functions
- Ability to learn, understand and follow functional department Standard Operating Procedures
- Familiarity with Lab production workflows
- Basic understanding of GIA policies and procedures
- Basic problem-solving skills: Understand when there is a problem and escalate as required; follow procedures to solve routine and often repetitive issues
- Sound communication skills in reading, writing and speaking clearly and ability to read and comprehend English (Spectrum, training in English)
- Ability to communicate professionally (communicates respectfully, listen, articulate/explain issues, use professional tone, know when to email vs call, etc.)
- Detail oriented / Ability to focus and complete tasks assigned in a timely manner
- Ability to learn and use production equipment to perform the job assigned (tweezers, scales, stone-holder, microscope, etc.) and basic office equipment
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively
- Interpersonal skills: Ability to create positive interactions with colleagues; actively communicate with others in a timely & professional manner; maintain good working relationship with others and peers
Supervision / Autonomy / Authority:
Work under general supervision with instructions on day-to-day tasks Work under direct supervision with limited instruction on routine tasks. Follow specific instruction when learning new tasks.
Education / Training / Experience Requirements:
- High school diploma
- 1 year work experience in a related field preferred
Why Should You Apply?
- Great benefits!
- Reasonable hours that provide work-life balance!
- Great educational opportunities