Project Manager - Software
- Posted: over a month ago
The Software Project Manager is responsible for managing one or more feature development projects. This is a leadership role and is responsible for working with cross-functional teams to ensure that all dependencies are available in a timely manner to ensure a smooth feature development execution. This is an individual with a strong sense of process and is able to execute agile sprints within a waterfall phase gate framework. The Software PM has a deep understanding of Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) and has a strong technical sense. This individual has a knack for stakeholder management and leads projects with his/her strong and effective communication skills. The PM will also function as a scrum master and will be responsible for planning and executing sprint plans with the support of functional leaders. The PM will also function as the overall project lead and is responsible for drawing out a high-level schedule with intermediate milestones to ensure that development schedules are monitored and tracked closely. The PM is a key partner to Program Managers and is responsible for ensuring that Program teams receive deliverables and communications that are key to program success. This role reports to the Manager of the Enterprise Project Management Office and is a partner to the FW-SW functional group.
The Software Project Manager will be responsible for managing feature projects under either one of the following portfolios:
- Desktop Fitting Software
- Mobile Apps
- Web-Based Solutions
- Create, maintain, and execute a detailed project plan and schedule using established best practices
- Work effectively with the cross-functional team and Program Manager to develop high-quality Software development project plans and schedules including tasks, dates, deliverables, and resource commitments using MS Project and other task management tools like Jira and Azure DevOps
- Work with the project team and department leaders to quickly resolve schedule and resource conflicts
- Ensure schedule is properly maintained consistent with established best practices, accurate, and kept up to date on a weekly basis
- Manage project activities to meet or exceed scope, date, and cost commitments
- Facilitate sprint planning & daily standup meetings using best practices to review project progress and coordinate required activities
- Closely track team’s progress in the team’s task tracking software, facilitate special team meetings as needed to brainstorm, problem-solve, or conduct other activities needed to ensure project success
- Anticipate and proactively manage project risk
- Proactively assess, identify, and manage project risk and establish mitigation and contingency plans
- Institutionalize risk mitigation and prevention by capturing lessons learned
- Communicate effectively within the project team, contributing departments, and upward to R&D leadership
- Communicate quickly, accurately, and completely to the project team ensuring that all team members are properly informed, and activities are properly coordinated across departments
- Communicate outward and upward beyond the project team to stakeholders and leadership in a concise, accurate, complete, and objective way with an emphasis on data and facts
- Support deployment of new project management tools and practices
- Actively employ new project management tools and policies as they are developed and rolled out
- Identify opportunities for process improvement
- Proactively identify opportunities to improve our project management capability and reduce product development risk and cycle time
- Exercise of authority or supervision over others
Results – Performance Measures (How to Measure Success):
- Risk identification and burn-down. Weekly and monthly reviews + annual perf. Review
- Schedule, scope, and cost variance statistics. Weekly and monthly reviews + annual perf. review
- Rate of consistent understanding of project status. Weekly and monthly reviews + quarterly conversations
Other Duties (Non-Measurable):
- Support the Employee Corporate and/or Department Guidelines.
- Schedule Buy-in with all stakeholders and swim lane owners.
- Resource Forecast Buy in with all stakeholders and department managers.
- Check and verify quality.
- Support corporate health and safety objectives.
- React to change productively and handle other essential duties as assigned.
- 4-year degree in Software Engineering, Project Management, or other relevant fields
- 5 years of project management experience in an engineering and new product development environment
- Fundamental understanding of basic software/firmware programming
- Proficient with MS Project and MS Office applications
- Knowledge of Software Development Life Cycle
- Knowledge of Agile and Waterfall execution methodologies
- A Software Engineering background is preferred
Skills & Abilities:
- Required Skills & Abilities
- Detail, data, and process-driven
- Ability to anticipate roadblocks, diagnose problems, and generate effective solutions
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse groups
- Strong negotiation, conflict resolution, and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation communication skills
- Experience in the development of technology software, hardware, and systems
- Understanding of Quality Management processes
- Desirable Skills, Abilities & Experience
- PMI certification
- Experience with hearing aids
- Experience with MS Project Server and MS SharePoint
Powered by JazzHR
Gateway Recruiting, INC.
AddressEden Prairie, MN
TechnologyView all jobs at Gateway Recruiting, INC.