Under general direction of a physician or a CRNA, the Licensed Practical Nurse interviews patients prior to procedure and document assessment on anesthesia pre-op record and consult with physician or CRNA regarding abnormal findings. Demonstrates initiative, insight, and judgement in making decisions. Works within the guidelines and scope of practice in the TN/MS Nurse Practice Act for Licensed Practical Nurses.
JOB TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Interviews patients. Completes pre-procedure paperwork.
- Performs IV insertion using sterile techniques. Spikes, dates, and initials IV fluid bags as necessary.
- Provide services in accordance with facility standards and policies.
- Demonstrates positive and professional customer service. Works and interacts with co-workers to accomplish overall ASC goals.
- Performs safety checks of emergency equipment and supplies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Knowledge of anesthesia pre-op assessment
- Screen patients for appropriate information
- Knowledge of medical technology
- Skilled at intravenous catheter insertion
- Maintains competency in Point of Care testing - Blood Glucose monitoring and pregnancy testing
- Interpersonal/human relations skills and effective communication
- Utilize standard precautions and follow infection control guidelines
- Ability to respond quickly and appropriately to emergency situations requiring immediate medical intervention under the direction of the RN, CRNA or MD
- Ability to push patients in stretchers
- Ability to adapt to work environment changes
- Ability to maintain records
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and follow HIPAA guidelines
- Participate in on-going performance improvement plans
- Successfully completes all Gastro One training requirements (ie. OSHA, HIPAA, Safety compliance, etc.)
- Responsible for following and compliance with all regulatory requirements and/or guidelines. These requirements/guidelines include, but are not limited to AAAHC Standards, Medicare and State specific regulations, OSHA, HIPAA, Federal Fraud and Abuse Laws
- Performs all duties in a manner that conforms to the Mission, Vision and policies of Gastro One
JOB EXPOSURE DETERMINATION:
- Involves occupational exposure to blood, tissue, or body fluids.
- Graduation from an approved LPN program, current LPN Licensure with the State of TN or MS.
- BLS and ACLS Certification.
- Successfully pass color blind screening.
- Completed IV infusion therapy program per rule 1000-02-14 of the TN State Regulations for Licensed Practical Nurses.
- Does not supervise employees.
- Works cooperatively with Endoscopy Center co-workers and physicians.
- Presents a friendly, courteous and helpful manner in all interactions.