Business Writer / Editor
GasPedal Austin, TX
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
We're looking for a talented business writer with a keen sense of brand voice who can tell the story of our communities, inspire our members, entice prospects, and connect with a sophisticated business audience.
We help business leaders coordinate with peers in this crisis. It's stunningly impactful. Every day, we enable collaborative action that helps millions of people. We're ramping up new communities to serve where it's most needed -- and we need great business writers to bring them together and inspire action. (See our members list: board.org/mem)
Your title will be Community Editor. You will:
- Produce high-volume work, shifting between topics, brands, and media. It's business writing for a business audience.
- Create member communications to build member pride and participation.
- Attract new members with copy and content that helps them understand how our communities change their lives for the better.
- Build culture by teaching who we are, what we do, and why we do it.
We have a weekly publishing rhythm with standard formats and a distinct voice.
- We have a content formula that works for each of our communities -- same structure, different topics.
- We publish the content in multiple formats on our website, our email newsletters, sales messages, and LinkedIn.
- You're writing for very senior executives at very big companies.
- You'll work with our facilitators to understand the subject matter of the community you're working with. You need to know the industry, the players, the issues, and the terminology. We'll teach you, but you'll need to do your homework to stay current and informed.
- It's not just business news -- it's about community. We pride ourselves in our human voice that builds joy and connections.
- It adds up to a robust content strategy that drives them to action and gives them pride in the organization.
What we love:
- The language of mission and belonging. The art of using story and language to connect people emotionally to a community and a tribe.
- Standards. We obsess about the perfect voice and tone for each unique brand and audience. We wish we had written this: voiceandtone.com
- Words first. We design for writers, we don't write for designers.
- David Ogilvy.
See samples to understand what we write here: gaspedal.com/be-our-writer
You'll write for an incredibly interesting audience: the people leading changes at the biggest companies on earth. They know great writing -- it's kind of like making dinner for famous chefs each night. You'll work across all of our brands: SocialMedia.org, SocialMedia.org Health, Talent Acquisition & Marketing Board, CSR Board, Data Board, and GasPedal -- plus future communities focused on social equality, sustainability, and innovation.
This is a company where writing is central, not a supporting role. You'll join an incredibly talented team of writers (including a New York Times bestselling author), designers, and content producers -- people who appreciate great work and sweat the details to make it even better. You're also directly involved in communication strategy.
We LOVE to collaborate (in an unusually intense way that would make others nuts). So much so that you should enjoy having a group of talented writers giving feedback on what you write, collaborating on every word, and working as a team to make everything we publish truly excellent.
- Two years of business writing experience. (This means you're writing content for corporate professionals.)
- Excellent proofreading skills. (We'll test you.)
- Can write to a business audience professionally -- without being stuffy. (We'll want to see examples.)
- Proven ability to stay organized and meet deadlines in a high-volume writing environment.
Some important details
How to get this job: Submit an application at gaspedal.com. We want to see a great cover letter, resume, writing samples, and anything else that shows us how you write, think, and work. Show us what you've done and how you can do it for us. If you're not sure this is the right position for you, please do apply anyway. We'll help you figure out where you fit on the team.
Compensation: We offer good pay, plus great benefits and perks -- including 7 weeks PTO plus 3 weeks sick leave, 401K match, fantastic health insurance, and private offices for everyone. Check out all the benefits and our workspace at gaspedal.com/working-here.
Location: This is a full-time, in-the-office position at our Austin ranch (check it out at gaspedal.com/ranch). We are temporarily remote, but will be definitely returning to the office when it is safe. No relocation assistance is provided, and we don't hire telecommuters.
What we do
We build communities for people leading meaningful change at really big companies. We surround them with friends and support so they can achieve their mission -- and this helps them improve the lives of their millions of customers and employees. We have some of the most successful communities for social media, healthcare, corporate social responsibility, data science, and recruitment. We're launching new communities for equality, innovation, and more high-impact topics. Take a look at socialmedia.org, board.org, and gaspedal.com to see what we do.
What it's like to work with us
Imagine never having another boring day at work. This is a high-performing, intense, high-energy workplace that lets you do astonishingly good work every day. And we balance it with healthy work policies that send us home, on time, to our families and personal lives. We don't know it all, but we're figuring it out together and having a great time doing it.
You'll like our team. We only work with people we like, people who care, and people devoted to the cause. There are no office politics, whiners, slackers, or jerks. (We also reject customers that don't treat our employees well.) We are dedicated and driven -- and you'll enjoy spending your days with us.
Learn all about our company culture at gaspedal.com. We're quirky, so you should read it carefully before you apply. We're also super transparent, because we want you to really understand what it's like to work here.
Powered by JazzHR