SUMMARY OF JOB FUNCTION
Under the supervision of a licensed Psychiatrist on staff, the Licensed Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner (LPNP) provides medication management services to clients of Community Solutions with mental illness and/or drug addiction. As a member of the Central Intake and treatment teams, the LPNP provides medical consultation and treatment coordination with staff engaged in providing treatment and rehabilitation services to clients.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
· Evaluate and diagnose a full range of illnesses common to the population served and to prescribe and administer treatment.
· Aptitude to accurately apply Medicare/Medi-Cal regulations and documentation requirements to ensure audit ready charts.
· Maintain the confidence and cooperation of clients, families and staff.
· Apply good judgment and safeguards the confidentiality of client information to comply with all requirements, ethical, and legal obligation of the programs and Agency.
· Demonstrates cultural competency by effectively working with people differing in value systems, ethnicity, cultural backgrounds, language capabilities and disabilities.
· Effectively engages and interacts with clients and families demonstrating strong interpersonal skills. Handles all client interactions in a courteous and professional manner using effective reflective listening skills and seeks to understand divergent views.
· Works well independently with a minimum of clinical supervision. Provides clinical care and direction within scope of discipline.
· Ability to act calmly in emergency situations and to work successfully in a high stress work environment.
· Demonstrates effective leadership with emphasis on taking initiative, timely and effective decision making, advocating for the client, and promoting teamwork
· Demonstrate computer proficiency using Internet Explorer, MS Office programs (WORD, EXCEL, Outlook, etc.) and have the ability to quickly learn system applications that support payroll and electronic medical records.
· Completes RX refill requests and inquiries from a pharmacy or lab for assigned part-time physicians.
· Assess patient symptoms, historical data, and laboratory findings, and provide an accurate psychiatric diagnosis.
· Provides psychiatric consultation and collaborates with physicians, psychologists, social workers, the clinical treatment team and/or other professionals to discuss treatment plans and progress for clients.
· Prepares MD progress note and assigned sections of the MD Assessment in the electronic medical record system daily and no later than 3 business days.
· Delivers quality care while maintaining all company metrics pertaining to productivity.
· Compliant with the standardized Medication Practice Guidelines and Clinical Record Documentation Manual for Outpatient Services provided by Santa Clara County Mental Health Department
· Participates in agency peer review and quarterly County Pharmacy Audits.
· Preparing client requested forms including County and State applications requiring mental status evaluation. Prepares letters as requested by the client for school or housing requirements.
· Responds to phone calls and emails within 24 hours on business days. Resolves outstanding issues collaboratively using strength-based solutions focused approach.
· Demonstrates an understanding of HIPAA, confidentiality laws and policies, and assures the highest degree of confidentiality in the implementation of all responsibilities and duties.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and / or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients and the general public.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Currently licensed in California and certified as a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. Master’s degree in nursing with 2 or more years’ experience prescribing psychiatric medications and mental health treatments and services. Experience with Electronic Medical Records (EMR) systems. Working knowledge of Santa Clara County and surrounding area community resources. Experience with Medi-Cal documentation requirements.
Maintains required County 5150 certification. Must receive a criminal records clearance and complete funding requirements and licensing regulations. This position requires an automobile to travel between clinic locations and off site meetings.
Must be active and in good standing as a Licensed Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner by the California Board for Nurse Practitioners and possess a controlled substance registration certificate through the DEA. Possess a valid California driver’s license, current car insurance and a good driving record as documented by a DMV report and consistent with the Agency’s liability insurance requirements.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use ands to fingers, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls.
· Reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk and hear.
· Ability to sit at a desk or computer prolonged period of time.
· The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
· Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
· Works inside & outside including motor vehicle travel between sites.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
It is the policy of Gardner Family Health Network, Inc. to provide equal employment opportunity to all people without regard to race, color, ancestry, religious creed, national origin, disability, medical condition, gender, age, sexual orientation or marital status.