* Understands and effectively uses the newspaper's content management system.
* Serves as the afternoon/night production liaison between newsrooms and the GateHouse Center for News and Design:
* Checks content production.
* Answers questions about content and copy flow.
* Processes wire news stories -- sometimes in a first-read capacity -- using news judgment to determine priorities for sending stories in a timely fashion.
* Monitors CND layout for daily print.
* Oversees output of pages for deadline.
* Demonstrates mastery of assigned editing tasks, with excellent spelling, grammar, syntax and word usage, including the ability to tighten copy when necessary for space.
* Manages time effectively to ensure consistently high quality while meeting deadlines.
* Demonstrates consistently strong communication skills in working with editors.
* Acts as night/weekend editor, editing local stories that arrive at night, posting them on their websites, and promoting them on social media.
* Develops digital projects for curating and/or creating on a monthly basis.
* Demonstrates significant improvement in skills year-over-year.
* Maintains a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner so that you get along with co-workers and managers.
* Performs all other duties as assigned.
* Download and send to CND all wire stories outside CND offerings as decided by local editors on daily edition summaries.
* Monitor daily pages as they are laid out at CND and ensure output to FTP site.
* Monitor news wires for breaking news to be added after edition summary is completed each day. Contact on-call editor if news could impact A1.
* Oversee layout of weekly publications, on a rotating basis with other copy editors.
* Assist Features editor as needed, on a rotating basis with other copy editors, with downloading and sending to CND all daily utility content for all papers, including comics, puzzles, TV grid, Dear Abby, stock market graphics, horoscope, etc.
* Help other copy editors as needed.
* Excellent grammar and spelling
* Experience in newspaper editing and layout
* Facility with computers and content management systems
* Comfortable with social media
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 140 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include the USA TODAY and more than 260 daily local newspaper brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, WordStream, and ThriveHive and U.K. media company Newsquest. There's never been a better time to join our talented team. Visit Gannett.com/Careers to learn more!
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled