Steward Coordinator-Food Services, McMurdo Station
- $864 to $982 Weekly
Gana-A'Yoo Services Corporation, GSC, is renowned for excellence in delivery, performance and customer satisfaction with a focus on Food Service, Janitorial Services and Administrative Services. GSC supports the National Science Foundation managed United States Antarctic Program as part of the Antarctic Support Contract (ASC) and we are currently seeking a Steward Coordinator (Food Services) at McMurdo Station.
As a Steward Coordinator, Food Services you are responsible for supervising McMurdo steward staff by organizing tasking, special projects, supply orders and ensuring that the steward team conducts their duties safely, efficiently and with a positive attitude. Assists Lodging Manager and Culinary Manager in other duties as required.
POSITION: Steward Coordinator, Food Services
SEASON: Austral Summer 2022-2023
LOCATION: McMurdo Station, Antarctica
SECTOR/DEPT: Gana-A'Yoo Services Corporation (GSC) Antarctica
REPORTS TO: Program Executive Chef
WAGE: $864-$982 per week
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for tasking and overseeing day-to-day activities of the Lead Dining Attendants and Stewards to ensure that assigned tasks are completed thoroughly and in a timely manner.
- Sets pre-season expectations and completes post-season evaluations of Lead Dining Attendants and Stewards as required by the Culinary Manager and/or Lodging Manager
- Assists Culinary Manager in envisioning and implementing new team initiatives. Provides leadership and support for Lead Dining Attendants and Stewards.
- Communicates staffing, tasking, and equipment issues clearly with Lead Dining Attendants to ensure meal services are managed smoothly and efficiently.
- Manages scheduling of the Lead Dining Attendants and Stewards and assists with applicable duties of those positions as required.
- Tracks physical condition (injuries, aches, pains, sick days) of staff, adjusting tasking for light duty and other special requirements as needed.
- Fills in for the dining facility as needed.
- Actively seeks out and organizes special projects to be carried out by Lead Dining Attendants.
- Conducts inventories as requested.
- Researches cleaning products utilized by the stewards to ensure proper and safe usage.
- Handles confidential matters (personnel actions, management reports, lodging issues, etc.) in accordance with management policy.
- Interacts with the National Science Foundation, military and other agency officials, both over the telephone and in person, in a professional and tactful manner.
- Coordinates with other GSC departments to assign stewards special tasking. Communicates with Lead Dining Attendants regarding each department's needs. Ensures that stewards have training, tools, and resources they need to succeed in special tasking.
- May be required to perform duties requiring repetitive motion.
- Must be able to lift the safety regulation maximum on limited basis.
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining a safe workplace program and ensuring safety is the highest priority in the workplace.
- Responsible for safety reporting for all employees. This includes soreness, injuries, and near misses.
- Provides direct support, using staff resources if necessary, to the achievement of all metrics related to GSC.
- Complies with all GSC Environmental Health & Safety, and Quality Assurance, requirements and goals. Provides documentation to these divisions as necessary to ensure adequate and legal documentation.
- Works to achieve GSC goals and contractual commitments
- Responsible for leadership and motivation of the team.
- Performs other duties as required.
- High school graduate or GED.
CERTIFICATIONS AND/OR LICENSING REQUIREMENTS:
- Current ServSafe Food Handler certificate must be obtained prior to deployment to Antarctica.
- Valid driver's license
- Valid U.S. Passport
- A minimum of two years of work experience in the hotel or restaurant related industry.
- One year supervisory experience required.
- Basic computer skills with word processing, spreadsheets and databases required.
- Previous experience with Station Services in Antarctica may be accepted in lieu of minimum experience.
- US citizenship and permanent residency required.
- A prerequisite of employment for this position is to successfully gain a favorable Tier 1 - Elevated Background Investigation (EBI) result prior to deployment. Candidates hired for this position will be required to complete; online forms, written forms, fingerprint cards and provide additional details and information as requested by NSF Personnel Security.
Gana-A'Yoo, Limited (GYL), an Alaska Native Corporation, offers services with ongoing contracts in many facility types, such as, military training facilities, emergency management centers and temporary field sites. GYL in partnership with ESS Support Services, a Division of Compass Group, will provide operational management support. ESS Support Services is the market leader in providing remote camp and catering services to clients, wherever their location, no matter how extreme the environment may be. Services extend across North America and include such diverse facilities as drilling, mining, construction, pipeline and logging camps, offshore, governmental agencies and others. Payroll and benefits are supported by Compass Group.
We are committed to ensuring that our online application process provides an equal employment opportunity to all job seekers.
If you require assistance in the application process, please contact us at:
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers applicants without regard to race, sex, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other protected status. EEO is the Law poster.
Gana-A'Yoo, Limited - Antarctic ProgramEnglewood, CO
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.